Why become a member? ×

Uncomfortable playing

xgsjx

I've been playing on the same bass for about 20 years but this past coule of years I've started to get an uncomfortable wrist on my fret hand if I'm holding a chord or octave for more than a few minutes. Does anyone else get this? Is it just getting old? :)

I was wondering if it's the fact that my ibby has a rather thin neck & was thinking if changing to a wider necked bass might be the answer.

Does any of you guys have any experience in this sort of thing? Should I be changing basses (suppose that's never a bad thing) or should I be looking at slinging my bass in a different position (I've tried a couple of different poses but still the same)? I usually have my bass hanging roughly about the same height as if I was sitting down (always have done).

I don't get this uncomfortable pain any other time.

First, see a doctor. Untreated strains and muscle / ligament inflammations can go 'long-term' if not addressed.

Secondly, looking at your avatar, it looks like your bass is slung halfway round your body and as a consequence, your wrist is turned through about 90 degrees.

Is this is a temporary position caught on camera or how you normally play? If the latter, try pulling the bass round to your front to straighten the line a bit between your forearm, your wrist and the back of your fretting hand.

Neck width can be an issue as well, but I'd get mediacal attention, and try a different position before you lash out on another bass.

PS - It could just be age catching up with you :)

Edited by skankdelvar

Cheers, I'm going down to the docs this morning to register (new doc) so I'll get it checked out when I'm getting my health check.
My avatar is different from my normal position as I usually have the bass directly in front of me & the neck lower down so the headstock usually sits on the same line as my shoulder (just checked this from looking at a few bits of video from my band playing).

I thought that too :)

I used to have problems with both of my hands where they would seize up with cramp and I literally couldn't move them whilst playing, although I haven't had it recently. I think it's actually a very good idea to warm up before playing, I usually have a bit of a warmup with the sound check.