Why become a member? ×

GK Neos...

Josh

I've got my sights set on a GK Neo 2x12 and Neo 2x10 to replace my EBS cabs, but I've recently been informed that the 2x12's have been known to overheat quite often and would be wise to steer clear of them, yet I have read countless reviews on Harmony Central and TalkBass and haven't seen it mentioned at all.

Any experiences that can shed any light on this?

[quote name='Josh' post='423651' date='Mar 2 2009, 08:52 PM']I've got my sights set on a GK Neo 2x12 and Neo 2x10 to replace my EBS cabs, but I've recently been informed that the 2x12's have been known to overheat quite often and would be wise to steer clear of them, yet I have read countless reviews on Harmony Central and TalkBass and haven't seen it mentioned at all.

Any experiences that can shed any light on this?[/quote]

Hi Josh - I had a 212 and a 112 GK neo and they sounded fine soloed and at low volume. What I did notice when using them live is that the longer the gig went on, and I suppose the warmer they got, the 'woolier' they became. I used 'em with a GK1001RBII typically at around 11.00 on the volume.

I'm sure they're fine for some applications but I didn't keep them very long.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='423652' date='Mar 2 2009, 08:54 PM']I know nothing about overheating. But is going from EBS to GK an upgrade?[/quote]

I can't get on with the cabs or head any more John, I find the cabs too harsh even with the tweeters off and both the treble and bright cut on the head, and there is no warmth at all to my ear and the tube mode does next to sod all. And having Gunsfreddy pop over recently with his rig I've realised how much EBS isn't for me.

Trust me I tried keeping away from GK but ironically the 1001RBII may indeed be right for me, as would the cabs.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='423767' date='Mar 2 2009, 10:48 PM']:) Dont let Gunsfreddy pop over with his GB when he gets it - you will be doomed :rolleyes:[/quote]

To be honest his GB will sound perfect through his current rig, GB's are warm and zingy basses, and Mark's rig is perfect for that, if it dosen't sound as nice as I've got it pictured then I'll be damned to Hell in a handbag.

[quote name='Stewart' post='423784' date='Mar 2 2009, 11:15 PM']I've had a 1001 and 2 1x12 NEOs for about a year and a half - they suit me fine.

Must have done twenty-thirty gigs, and no problems so far.
(I'll probably regret writing that! :D )[/quote]

Ahh thats cool man, it's most likely a case of a duff cab, GK are known for letting quite a few duff products slip by quality control.