Why become a member? ×

DHA or VT-Bass?

DanOwens

Hi guys,

I've been after a decent DHA and missed out on a couple of EQ Drives (I was thinking 'why do I need an EQ'?).

Been thinking about the SansAmp VT Bass and thought 'What is it I'm after'. I know I want a drive/distortion other than my Woolley Mammoth (Fuzztastic), but what else?

I usually play through my rig, so having a pre/DI isn't really an issue, but having some grit/dirt [u]is[/u].

I guess what I'm asking is, in your opinion, what are you looking for in a dirtbox? Versatility of tone (surely the VT Bass then)? Authentic Valve tone (DHA)? Large amounts of distortion and subtle available (VT2 Dual)?

If you have any of the above, have you lusted after something else?

I guess I just want to GAS away!!!

Dan

the Aguilar Tonehammer is pretty good as a dirt box due to its 3band eq + sweepable mids. its one to considder but then again so is a modded digitech bad monkey, an owen gremlin. best to cast your net wider if its just a dirt box your after

Thanks for the advice man!

The tonehammer did look good, and the 3 band EQ is a good idea, but my thinking goes as such:

I want the same sound coming out of it as I'm putting in, but with dirt. Surely by including an EQ section, the manufacturers are saying 'you're going to need this'. Is this not the case?

Why would I want an EQ? I asked myself this very basic question and the conclusion I came to was:

1) The pedal must sap low end, requiring an EQ circuit to make it up.
2) I'm going to boost lows, and piss off the soundman even more (they hate my moogerfooger lowpass!!)

Engage with me on this, explain why I'm wrong (this is directed at all of BC, not just you Pablo!!)

Dan

PS. These are extremities of view, and I'm sure Aguilar wouldn't let a pedal that sounded crap onto the market.

Edited by DanOwens

I've had a DHA VT2 and currently own a VT Bass. I use the VT to get an Ampeg sound out of a clean amp / PA, with just a hint of drive. I'm not a fan of using it as a distortion pedal really, it sounds far too compressed with the gain pushed. Another good thing about the VT is it makes the Mammoth sound amazing, it really brings out the low end and tames the fizzy highs. The DHA is VERY nice at low gain grit and has a certain 'sheen' to it that sounds yummy with a fresh set of strings. However I would steer you towards the Barber LTD Silver for sale in the classifieds right now - if I weren't about to build myself one I would have bought it already! One of the best bass ODs going.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='422565' date='Mar 1 2009, 07:15 PM']I've had a DHA VT2 and currently own a VT Bass. I use the VT to get an Ampeg sound out of a clean amp / PA, with just a hint of drive. I'm not a fan of using it as a distortion pedal really, it sounds far too compressed with the gain pushed. Another good thing about the VT is it makes the Mammoth sound amazing, it really brings out the low end and tames the fizzy highs. The DHA is VERY nice at low gain grit and has a certain 'sheen' to it that sounds yummy with a fresh set of strings. However I would steer you towards the Barber LTD Silver for sale in the classifieds right now - if I weren't about to build myself one I would have bought it already! One of the best bass ODs going.[/quote]

+1

Also my thinking on eq sections on dirt pedals (its pretty much stating the pbvious though :)) is manufacturers put them there so you can fine tune your sound/ create a different sound with the pedal engaged and to counter any low frequency loss that may or may [u]not[/u] occur with the effect engaged, if you want the same sound as whats going in you dont have to tweak the EQ section :rolleyes:

If your not wanting to have any tone controls the the catalinbread hyperpak gets my vote for distortion, as to my ears it sounds wicked on bass and doesnt loose any lows, for OD I'd say a DHA Purist is a good bet from personal experience.