Why become a member? ×

Flats on a 5-string with monorail bridges

BottomEndian

I've just got hold of an Ibanez BTB775, and I'm interested in trying out some flatwounds on it at some point. Just a couple of limiting factors here:
[list]
[*]35" scale length, so the strings need to be extra-long.
[*]Monorail bridges: these don't look like they'd be able to take a 130-gauge B-string wound at full thickness to the ball-end. They come installed with a taperwound 130, and the E-string at 105 looks like pretty much the limit for these bridges. You'd maybe get a 110 in it.
[/list]
So, first question: Anybody here ever put flats on their monorail-bridged 5-string? If so, what were they?

Failing that, the second question: Anybody know of an extra-long scale 5-string flatwound set with a taperwound B? The only one I've found is the Sadowsky SBF45BXL.

Third question: Anyone tried the Sadowsky SBF45BXL set?

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='422506' date='Mar 1 2009, 06:15 PM']i've used 130's at times, can't remember wether they were flatwounds or not, but shouldn't make a difference.

string guages are not something i seem to be able to commit to memory, don't even know what guage are on now...[/quote]
Well, as luck would have it, I found a spare set of D'Addarios with a 135-gauge B as I was clearing out a cupboard. A quick check, and indeed it fits in with no problem. And that's a full-thickness, untapered roundwound 135 with clumsy, lumpen ends. Looks were very deceptive with these bridges.

So I should have no problem with a 130 flat. Problem solved. If only everything on Basschat was this simple. :)

Just as an aside, looking at the Shuker website, their monorails look quite different to the Ibanez ones. The Shuker bridges seem to have the ball-end visible at the back of the bridge, kind of in a similar position to where they'd be on a standard bridge. If you look at [url="http://resources.ibanez.com/resourceservicehost/images/Ibanez/web/insets/zoom/BTB676PBAM_bartolini_pus.jpg"]this picture[/url] of the Ibanez monorails, you can see how the ball-end is kind of seated deep down inside the bridge. It's almost semi-strung-through, which is where I thought the problem might lie.