Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Something similar to the Two Notes Captor X

Salt on your Bass?

Hi all, hopefully the right forum...

I've started doing a bit of basic home recording having bought a Focusrite interface, and downloaded the freeware. I have a head that I use at home but I started looking for a lower wattage amp or pre-amp that I could drive in a similar manner as I gig my main amp with my pedal board. In doing so, I stumbled across the Two Notes Captor X which has really piqued my interest.

The captor X looks to be a great piece of kit that would allow me to run my main valve amp (Matamp GT200 - 200w) at home at either low attenuated volume, or silent, and achieve cranked tones into my recording set up, with cab sim options etc. (https://www.two-notes.com/torpedo-captorx). It also offers me benefit during smaller gigs and rehearsal potentially so suddenly becomes a multi application tool and seems good value with the whole package of features. However, the Captor X only facilitates amps up to 100w.

I have a question out to Two Notes technical team to clarify, but I wondered if there were any other recommendations that support higher wattage amps please in a similar functionality vein that you guys may be aware of or have experience with? My limited search seems to keep turning up this power limitation so welcome any advice you may have.

If this route isn't viable due to a product gap or cost, I'm likely to go for the Two notes preamp and see how it goes from there.  

Many thanks :) 

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

Wow, not cheap!

You could do the same thing with just a load box / attenuator if you've got a mic, or get a load box and an SM57. Or if your head has DI, just an attenuator and then use a software cab sim the other side of the focusrite, there are loads about. 

• Like 1

Looking at this little unit as well... Any experiences on bass? 

https://www.rivera.com/product/attenuators-cab-sims/mini-rockcrusher-recording/

Apparently I can use the captor x with higher power than 100w but you have to tailor volume which makes me a bit nervous. 

Thanks for the thought so far :)

So had a bit of a change of solution as I realistically don't really need to attenuate in a live setting, and just ordered a Two Notes CAB M.

It offers DI post power section of my valve amp, with ability to add a cab sim, but also for home use, I can run my board to it and it'll provide power amp sim, cab sim, plus EQ and verb - any of which can be turned on/ off and adjusted accordingly. So I can use the pre-amp on my valve or solid state amp, run a DI out and emulate a valve power section.

Looks a neat little box, I'll probably drop my thoughts on it here when it arrives.

https://www.two-notes.com/torpedo-cab-m 

Edited by Salt on your Bass?