Why become a member? ×

Pro Setup

Randy_Marsh

There is a sticky somewhere of recommended luthiers.

What is done depends on whats needed but it can include dressing the frets, adjusting the truss rod, adjusting the string height abd intonation at the bridge and maybe filing (or replacing) the nut as well. It would be best done when fitting new strings - I always used to get mine done when I changed strings.

You're not too far from Manchester - of the music shops in the city, I'd only ever use Music Ground: Adie there has done a couple of terrific set-ups for me (he's very well-known in the industry and has a wealth of experience). If you can make it to see Ged Green in Cheadle (just to the south of Manchester), that would be my recommendation: his work is superb. I don't have his number at the moment but PM me if you need it. Wherever you go, you'll be looking at around £30-35 plus a new set of strings (I'd advise having new strings fitted if you're paying for a set-up). A lot of people on BassChat will probably advise that you should learn how to do your own set-ups. Taking heed of this will save you a lot of money in the long-run but the learning process can be difficult and frustrating (especially if you don't have someone to convey the basics). I set-up my own less expensive basses, but for anything higher-end I go to Ged Green or the Gallery.

setting up the bass is relatively easy so long as your truss rod is accessible
a guitar/music instrument shop usually has a bass player...the old guy sorting out the music...perhaps

not a lot of tools are required just some time and patience to do it right..truss adjust tool/small screwdriver/allen key for saddles/tuner/ruler or gauge set at pup setting distance

step one...truss rod settings ***with strings loosened off
step two the action..bridge etc
step three retune
step four set intonation..need a tuner for this and may have to loosen strings if saddles are tight
step four check pup settings relative to underside of strings

if you have doubts about the frets or nut etc...then i agree it may be better to find a repaired...doesnt have to be bass

good luck with that

[url="http://www.arenaguitartechs.co.uk/"]http://www.arenaguitartechs.co.uk/[/url]

googled link to setups in crewe

Edited by mrcrow