Why become a member? ×

Who makes the most efficient bass cabs then ?

far0n

[quote name='stevie' post='421039' date='Feb 27 2009, 04:00 PM']What do you think makes them so loud?[/quote]

Well, reading something on here.. I think it said a 3db increase in sensitivity needs half the wattage of amp for the same volume? Can't remember if I've got that right or not? ;)

[quote name='far0n' post='421024' date='Feb 27 2009, 10:41 AM']I think the best I've had was my Eden D410XLT at 106db. Haven't come across any louder than that from the main manufacturers.[/quote]
Without an SPL chart claimed sensitivities aren't worth doodly squat. Eden in particular is famous for making claims that stretch the bounds of reality. Ampeg, OTOH, is very honest. Considering that all manufacturers use the same type cabinets and that there are no magic drivers commercial cabs claiming more than 2 or 3dB higher sensitivity than an Ampeg of similar design should be dismissed out of hand.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='421310' date='Feb 27 2009, 03:23 PM']Without an SPL chart claimed sensitivities aren't worth doodly squat. Eden in particular is famous for making claims that stretch the bounds of reality. Ampeg, OTOH, is very honest. Considering that all manufacturers use the same type cabinets and that there are no magic drivers commercial cabs claiming more than 2 or 3dB higher sensitivity than an Ampeg of similar design should be dismissed out of hand.[/quote]

Aren't tweets an issue too increasing the sensitivity rating?

[quote name='bassplace' post='421452' date='Feb 27 2009, 07:33 PM']Aren't tweets an issue too increasing the sensitivity rating?[/quote]
They shoujdn't be. The AES accepted method of rating sensitivity is that of the woofer above f3 where the driver is operating in pistonic mode. That generally means from about 100 to 300 Hz, and it removes cone break up and tweeters from the equation. Many bass cab manufacturers routinely ignore that protocol, and rate their cabs at whatever the highest sensitivity is at whatever frequency it may occur, so inflation of as much as 8dB is not at all unusual. At the same time it's de rigeur for them to claim low frequency extension at least 10Hz lower than actual. That sort of shell game couldn't occur if SPL charts were required to back up their claims. I estimate at least half the cab manufacturers don't have the charts to post to begin with, while those who do would rather the results never see the light of day.