Why become a member? ×

Competition for the Stagg

tauzero

Some time ago, Palatino came up with the VE-500, which, like the Stagg, is an endpin-equipped slimline EUB with a sticky-out bit to hang your washing on. I bought one some time back to replace my BSX father-of-Flip bass, but replaced it in turn with an NS WAV-4, mainly for convenience sake - Palatinos don't balance unaided on their end-pins and when doing a ceilidh, there's fair-sized gaps between playing while Mrs Zero directs her victims on how they are to do the next dance. It was also pretty heavy, considerably more than the NS.

Harley-Benton are now doing the Palatino, and they're on Thomann for a few quid less than the Stagg. For that price, they're well worth considering. Looks like they've rocketed ahead of the Stagg in terms of sales from Thomann.

Yeah, I saw those last week while I was drooling over a Yamaha SLB200.

How did you rate the Palatino sound? There's a lot of Palatino users over on Talkbass but they seem to have to modify the arse off them before they become useable.

Edited by TheRev