Why become a member? ×

Modifying pickups

Bassfinger

I'm looking to build another bass - I've finally succumbed stuck at home boredom.

Anyway, to save the shekels  I'm looking to use parts from my box of shite, and that includes the ok looking but feeble performing PB pickup.

I've been googling how to pep them up a bit, and it seems that discarding the feeble standard magnets and replacing them with meatier neodymium jobs is an easy and very cheap way of feeding them steroids and beefing up the tone.

Anyone done this sort of thing? How did it go?

Edited by Bassfinger

I've done this. Neo magnets are not that cheap, but do have a huge impact on output.

Before you do anything, what sound do you want, vintage, modern (hifi)? You may be able to get something decent for little money used. It may even be cheaper to buy used rather than to convert.

• Like 1

Modernish, punchy, a really solid mid would be nice. Nothing too modern or too clangy, but nothing too subdued and vintage either.  Jeez, I'm an awkward cuss!

The power of Google reveals neo magnets in exactly the same size as standard ones for less than 6 quid the pair.  Not super cheap, bit not bank busting either.

Edited by Bassfinger

Well, the new magnets have arrived.  Same size as the originals, but by God are they powerful in comparison!  I've glued them on and I'll report back how they sound in due course.  I don't believe all this "X magnet material gives a warm sound,  Y material a rocking sound with a bit of mid range grit" bollards  - it's a magnetic field, for chrissakes. 

• 2 months later...

Late update.  My home brewed P Bass is today complete.  I used the cheapo pickups which I'd spiced up with the rather powerful neodymium  magnets (compared to the old ones the difference in strength is astonishing) and have today given it a blast.

Well, the output is predictably high.  I'm running the instruments volume at 2 to achieve the same volume as my other bases do at 7 or 8.  The sound clear and punchy, with an almost acoustic like quality to the sound. Not quite what I'd expected, but not unpleasant either  I'll have to put a few more hours on the to get to know them better, but early indications are that for the sake of £4 of magnets and some glue I have managed to seriously pep up a cheap and nasty pickup.

• Like 3