Why become a member? ×

EMG pickups

voxpop

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='418384' date='Feb 24 2009, 01:53 PM']Do those ones run at 18v? If they'll take it, might be worth giving it a try, the extra headroom might get rid of the compresssion you might hear as 'unnatural' [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39906"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39906[/url][/quote]

It does run on 18 volts.

The sound of the 40DC is very clean. Im looking for a more traditional tone....

Edited by voxpop

I recently fitted the 40 P5 and J into my Crafter fretless 5, to much acclaim from bands in which I use it!
If you get Up North, you're welcome to try it, but basically it gives the sounds you'd expect plus that extra range afforded by EMGs.
On my main bass - [u]heavily[/u] modded Ibanez Roadster - I have the 35DC and J. I'd suppose you'd say the P5 just gives that bit more P-bass tone while the DC is maybe a tad more MM.
Both very usable combos anyway.. best of luck!
HUGH

[quote name='hubrad' post='418467' date='Feb 24 2009, 03:32 PM']I recently fitted the 40 P5 and J into my Crafter fretless 5, to much acclaim from bands in which I use it!
If you get Up North, you're welcome to try it, but basically it gives the sounds you'd expect plus that extra range afforded by EMGs.
On my main bass - [u]heavily[/u] modded Ibanez Roadster - I have the 35DC and J. I'd suppose you'd say the P5 just gives that bit more P-bass tone while the DC is maybe a tad more MM.
Both very usable combos anyway.. best of luck!
HUGH[/quote]

Thanks Hugh.........great advice.

Marc

[quote name='photographymatt' post='419306' date='Feb 25 2009, 02:38 PM']the 40DC are the 5 string version of the 35 right? if so, there the ones Im considering upgrading to. What is it about them that you dont like?[/quote]

You are right the 40's are the 5 string version of the 35's.
Its not that I dislike the sound, it is very full, clear and punchy. I was considering a more mellow, traditional sound.......maybe Jazz or P bass like.

The great thing about EMG's is, if you dislike the sound or fancy a change its a simple swap over.

Hope this helps.

Marc

[quote name='voxpop' post='418294' date='Feb 24 2009, 12:36 PM']Hi Guys,
I have a Spector with EMG 40DC pickups and want to change to a more traditional sound. Has anyone changed or heard the 40J (single coil) or 40 CS (steel) or the 40P5 (split coil).

Thanks.

Marc[/quote]

could you do it with the eq pots emg do ...a simple swap out??

[url="http://www.emginc.com/products/category/146"]EMG active pots[/url]

Edited by mrcrow

[quote name='mrcrow' post='422385' date='Mar 1 2009, 02:30 PM']could you do it with the eq pots emg do ...a simple swap out??

[url="http://www.emginc.com/products/category/146"]EMG active pots[/url][/quote]

The plan is to put an EMG BTS system active preamp instead of the Spector TonePump and replace the 40DC's with the 40J's. Just need to find someone to trade my 40DC's for 40J's.

Edited by voxpop

[quote name='voxpop' post='418294' date='Feb 24 2009, 12:36 PM']Hi Guys,
I have a Spector with EMG 40DC pickups and want to change to a more traditional sound. Has anyone changed or heard the 40J (single coil) or 40 CS (steel) or the 40P5 (split coil).
Thanks.
Marc[/quote]

hi again voxpop

i did once use a 30HB which is the same shape as the 40DC...and being a 'P' disguised in a soapbar casing may do the trick if you need to keep the same rout...that would be a 40P

EMG QUOTE
[color="#FF0000"]"The 40P design has two offset coils that result in more low end with brilliant highs. It is intended for 6-string models that have a more narrow string spacing and uses short, squat coils that have very little resistance and plenty of inductance. Ceramic magnets are used to add clarity. The 40P has a natural presence, powerful lows, punchy midrange, and superior definition. This pickup uses a 40 Extended housing that is 4 inches (102mm)."[/color]

regarding J pups...how would you fit them etc after taking off the big DC shape
cheers
geof

Edited by mrcrow

[quote name='CJBASS' post='424214' date='Mar 3 2009, 03:27 PM'][font="Arial Black"][i]"regarding J pups...how would you fit them etc after taking off the big DC shape"[/i][/font]

EMG have J pups in the soapbar configuration as well so would be simple to swap..[/quote]

its obvious i didnt know that... :)

just looked at the emg site and saw the ones

thanks for the heads up on that one
cheers
geof