Why become a member? ×

Buzz

xgsjx

Helloo,

I've got a buzz!

I got a MF-101 & it buzzes a bit. I shielded the sides with copper & still it buzzes. I have just tried putting copper foil around the wires from the PCB to the output & also around the wires from the PCB to the stomp switch and covered the foil with insulation tape & it still buzzes (maybe worse with that).
I discovered that moving the cable from the MF-101 to the amp changes the level of buzz & if I hold the cable with 2 hands it goes almost away. I did this with a few cables & all was the same.

Does anybody have any ideas on eliminating or reducing buzz, would copper shielded cables be the answer?

Don't shield the insides of the pedal at all - there's too much risk of something touching the earth foil and short circuiting, which could damage the pedal.

If the hum changes as you move the cable then that suggests there might be something in the cable path that is generating the hum. Are there any power supplies near the cables ? If so try moving the power supply rather than the cable.

Some power supplies can be quite "noisy".

Cheers,

I removed the copper that I put on the cables but left it on the sides (shielding the sides was recommended in the moog forum).

At rehearsals on Monday it had little or no buzz, so it could well be where it is in the house. I'm using a Godlyke PSU with a daisychain that does make a bit of squeal, but I think it's due to it being digital switching & if I roll off a bit of treble (VLE knob up a couple of notches does it) then it's gone.