Why become a member? ×

Hybrid Slinky's

KennysFord

I was chatting to a mate the other night about what strings he uses on his quite old and very lovely 2 band Stingray and to my surprise he said Hybrid Slinkys.Now this guy has got [u]Tone[/u] whether he plays through a Redhead,Trace 410 combo or a Hartke vx410.Ive tried regular and super slinky's and did'nt get on with 'em at all.
Any of you lot tried the Hybrid's and your thoughts on them please. ;)

Love 'em, me. It'll be the 'Ray that's doing it though - pre-EB 'Ray's rock. I've had Hybrids on a few basses now - Jazz, another Jazz, Spector, 'Ray, brief flirtation with VMP, etc. Wish I'd found them years ago.

If you didn't get on with the others though, they're just a different gauge. The Stainless Slinkys are good too if that's your bag.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='412803' date='Feb 18 2009, 10:22 AM']Love 'em, me. It'll be the 'Ray that's doing it though - pre-EB 'Ray's rock. I've had Hybrids on a few basses now - Jazz, another Jazz, Spector, 'Ray, brief flirtation with VMP, etc. Wish I'd found them years ago.

If you didn't get on with the others though, they're just a different gauge. The Stainless Slinkys are good too if that's your bag.[/quote]

+1. I've used Slinkys for years. I occassionally try other brands (including more expensive ones) but these seem to suit me best.

The hybrid Slinkys (nickel ones..) do seem to be the strings to get the Musicman sound. I once tried my Sterling with a set of Rotosounds but took them off after a day as it just sounded all wrong.

Having said that, I've had a set of DR Sunbeams on for about 6 months now and they're really rather nice - not as agressive as Slinkys but they still have a bit of growl in them - just a bit more mellow.

I pretty much figured it would be the Ray tbh.I just wondering if my 1980 Blazer would be somewhat similar.Ash body,maple neck,single bucker and 2 band active eq......... or am i just dreaming. ;)
Still,my Blazer sounds pretty damn good with D'addario chrome flats on it.I think i'll risk a set,the slinky's are cheap enough i guess.
Cheers guys.