Why become a member? ×

Frankenstien P Bass

William James Easton

I have had my old Precision bass lying idle for the past few years after a 'accident' in Ripon North yorkshire (i'm sure one day it'll be one of those rock n roll hall of fame moments). Anyhoo to cut a long story short after not being able to put Artissans lovely lovely basses down at YBB i've decided i need to play one again. So over a long time im going to slowly build up my project.

BUT this may be a no go when i get a pro to check out the damage and see how bad/how much its going to be to repair if neede. (Crack from the neck plate area into to the body just below the top horn area).

So if it is clear for take off i am going to get it sprayed black - 3 ply BWB scratch plate - maple neck- chrome hardware.

Think i may put a cheeky bridge gaurd on it for pure asthetic reasons if i can play with it on. It has a J PUP and that is where i play.
So advise/tips/rule/bass fas paux i should look out for? Would the purists be outraged if i stuck a 70's neck plate and a 60's (just guessing) bridge on the same guitar?

and can you advise me on good/bad choices for -
Neck
Neck plate
Machine heads
Scratchplate
Bridge
P PUP
J PUP
Bridge cover
Pots
Knobs
Nut

and anything else i've not thought about.

sorry if it all sounds a bit amatuer....that's coz i am!

good day.

[quote name='William James Easton' post='411721' date='Feb 17 2009, 09:27 AM']I have had my old Precision bass lying idle for the past few years after a 'accident' in Ripon North yorkshire (i'm sure one day it'll be one of those rock n roll hall of fame moments). Anyhoo to cut a long story short after not being able to put Artissans lovely lovely basses down at YBB i've decided i need to play one again. So over a long time im going to slowly build up my project.

BUT this may be a no go when i get a pro to check out the damage and see how bad/how much its going to be to repair if neede. (Crack from the neck plate area into to the body just below the top horn area).

So if it is clear for take off i am going to get it sprayed black - 3 ply BWB scratch plate - maple neck- chrome hardware.

Think i may put a cheeky bridge gaurd on it for pure asthetic reasons if i can play with it on. It has a J PUP and that is where i play.
So advise/tips/rule/bass fas paux i should look out for? Would the purists be outraged if i stuck a 70's neck plate and a 60's (just guessing) bridge on the same guitar?

and can you advise me on good/bad choices for -
Neck
Neck plate
Machine heads
Scratchplate
Bridge
P PUP
J PUP
Bridge cover
Pots
Knobs
Nut

and anything else i've not thought about.

sorry if it all sounds a bit amatuer....that's coz i am!

good day.[/quote]

Warmoth necks are very stable, a bit heavy and fat (from front to back) but bombproof according to reports. I have three and they aren't going anywhere.

Neck plates are much of a muchness. I'm told that there should always be a cushion between neckplate and body but have never been able to find one to buy separately from the plate. Anyone?

I have a new set of Gotoh machine heads if you'd like them
Cheapest scratchplate I've found was a tortoiseshell from Thomann, fits a US Precision perfectly and looks good. You can also get Fender gold anodised
pickguards from various sellers on Ebay that look fantastic (and don't need sheilding, bonus!) but one or two of the screwholes don't line up with the holes in modern Precision bodies

Gotoh make a nice beefed-up version of the traditional bent-tin Fender bridge.

Pups - huge choice here, droogie! I use Seymour Duncans. If I'd been a Basschatter when I built my P I'd probably have gone for Wizards. No-one here has a bad word to say about the Wizard Thumper.

www.thomann.de/gb are good for pots and nuts. I haven't used www.axesrus.com but they get a good press here.

I'd expect the nut to come with the neck...?

good luck, happy building and let's see it when it's done!

[quote name='bremen' post='411747' date='Feb 17 2009, 10:04 AM']Warmoth necks are very stable, a bit heavy and fat (from front to back) but bombproof according to reports. I have three and they aren't going anywhere.

Neck plates are much of a muchness. I'm told that there should always be a cushion between neckplate and body but have never been able to find one to buy separately from the plate. Anyone?

I[b] have a new set of Gotoh machine heads if you'd like them
Cheapest scratchplate I've found was a tortoiseshell from Thomann, fits a US Precision perfectly and looks good. You can also get Fender gold anodised
pickguards from various sellers on Ebay that look fantastic (and don't need sheilding, bonus!) but one or two of the screwholes don't line up with the holes in modern Precision bodies[/b]
Gotoh make a nice beefed-up version of the traditional bent-tin Fender bridge.

Pups - huge choice here, droogie! I use Seymour Duncans. If I'd been a Basschatter when I built my P I'd probably have gone for Wizards. No-one here has a bad word to say about the Wizard Thumper.

www.thomann.de/gb are good for pots and nuts. I haven't used www.axesrus.com but they get a good press here.

I'd expect the nut to come with the neck...?

good luck, happy building and let's see it when it's done![/quote]

1 - mmmm lets seem em

2 - got a gold anodized plate on it at the moment. It was on of those california seris basses out a few years back.

Hi
good to meet you on Sunday

[quote]and can you advise me on good/bad choices for -[/quote]

Neck Mighty Mite , best value for money and as good as Fender
Neck plate Ebay £4.99
Machine heads Schaller Lightweights or Fender Geddy Lees (very positive look beefy)
Scratchplate
Bridge Schaller 3-D for the range of adjustment and German Engineering
P PUP Wizard or Artec Giovanni
J PUP As above
Bridge cover What !!!!!
Pots
Knobs
Nut Graphtec

hope this helps

Paul

[quote name='Prosebass' post='412548' date='Feb 17 2009, 10:41 PM']Hi
good to meet you on Sunday

Neck Mighty Mite , best value for money and as good as Fender
Neck plate Ebay £4.99
Machine heads Schaller Lightweights or Fender Geddy Lees (very positive look beefy)
Scratchplate
Bridge Schaller 3-D for the range of adjustment and German Engineering
P PUP Wizard or Artec Giovanni
J PUP As above
Bridge cover What !!!!!
Pots
Knobs
Nut Graphtec

hope this helps

Paul[/quote]

Thanks! nice to meet you too. J bass with a humbucker is a lovley idea!