Why become a member? ×

Eden Wt550 problem

PapillonIrl

Hi all,

Just thought I should post this here in case anyone has experienced similar issues.

I have had the Wt550 about 5 months, and it has performed very well in that time. Sounds great, and seemed very durable and well built.

A few days ago a good friend of mine was performing with this amp, as he was thinking of getting one, and mid-song, the amp seemed to lose power.

I have had a look at it, and have run the problems by the guys on the Eden forum, and the general consensus seems to be a themal shutdown.

Here is a description of the problem.

1: Very low power to cabs, as if only preamp section was working.
2: DI out works, as does the EQ, PAD, Enhance, and headphone out.
3: No strange noises, DI out sounds normal.
4: My friend did not report any overheating when this occurred, but it is possible that the amp was warm.
5: Problem present after changing valve, fuse, speaker and instrument cables, cabs, and bass.
6: Fan appears not to be working...I have used a hairdryer on the thermostat to check.
7: I [i]think[/i] the fan was woking before this gig.

Eden recommend to get it to a certified tech, but I don't think there is any on Ireland, I'm still waiting to hear back from the UK distributer

Anybody work on these amps ? Specifically on the thermostat ?

Any other ideas as to what it could be ?

Thanks,

Nathan

Edited by PapillonIrl

My old WT300 went into thermal shutdown whenever I ran into 4ohms. Overheated (with fan) on any gig with a noisy drummer, but was generally fine into 8ohms. I recall something about the fan working better if it was sucking rather than blowing...but I never got it sorted 100%. I think (like the similar SWR's) they run hot by design and you've just got to be a bit careful about pushing them too much.

All that said, I'd get yours to a good tech to check the fan/switch etc as I would only expect it to shutdown in pretty extreme circumstances, and should reset after a few mins.

[quote name='BassBod' post='407506' date='Feb 12 2009, 12:30 PM']My old WT300 went into thermal shutdown whenever I ran into 4ohms. Overheated (with fan) on any gig with a noisy drummer, but was generally fine into 8ohms. I recall something about the fan working better if it was sucking rather than blowing...but I never got it sorted 100%. I think (like the similar SWR's) they run hot by design and you've just got to be a bit careful about pushing them too much.

All that said, I'd get yours to a good tech to check the fan/switch etc as I would only expect it to shutdown in pretty extreme circumstances, and should reset after a few mins.[/quote]

Thanks....interesting.

Maybe it isn't a thermal shutdown actually....it definitely isn't resetting itself.

Nathan

The UK distributor referred me back to the retailer...who is located in the U.S.

This shouldn't be this difficult. Are U.S. retailers really expected to service amps they sell to overseas ?

Will my warranty be invalid if I get a non-Eden guy to look at it for me ?

Anybody know an Eden service center in the UK ?

Ok I got to talk to somebody who seemed interested in solving my problem.

He is the tech that Eden's distributors (Flightline) in the UK use for their repairs.

Nice guy, and a muso to boot.

He is located in Camden, where it just so happens I will be staying next weekend as I have a couple of gigs there.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is to bring the amp with me then, and he is even ok with picking it up from my hotel !

The advantage is that Flightline will source and pay for any Eden part's needed and get them to him with the quickness.

Just thought I should post this in case it helps anyone in the future.

I will have to pay the labour costs for repair, but parts (if needed) will be supplied by Flightline.

I have been advised to try and hit the original retailer for the labour cost, somehow I think that they will be less than receptive to this. :-)

Bear this in mind when buying amps in a different country !

Cheers all,

Nathan

Edited by PapillonIrl

[quote name='PapillonIrl' post='407758' date='Feb 12 2009, 04:50 PM']Ok I got to talk to somebody who seemed interested in solving my problem.

He is the tech that Eden's distributors (Flightline) in the UK use for their repairs.

Nice guy, and a muso to boot.

He is located in Camden, where it just so happens I will be staying next weekend as I have a couple of gigs there.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is to bring the amp with me then, and he is even ok with picking it up from my hotel !

The advantage is that Flightline will source and pay for any Eden part's needed and get them to him with the quickness.

Just thought I should post this in case it helps anyone in the future.

I will have to pay the labour costs for repair, but parts (if needed) will be supplied by Flightline.

I have been advised to try and hit the original retailer for the labour cost, somehow I think that they will be less than receptive to this. :-)

Bear this in mind when buying amps in a different country !

Cheers all,

Nathan[/quote]

Blooming heck. That's good news. What's the guys name? Could be a useful contact for an amp tech in London?!