Why become a member? ×

BFM O15TB vs O10.5

gilmour

I've just finished building a pair of O10.5's and spent last night using them, and again this morning playing with them together with my O15TB. So I thought I'd post some findings for those considering building/buying either of these cabs.

[b]CAB SPECS[/b]
[indent][b]O10.5[/b]
Half size O10.5 option, standard width
Loaded with Beta 10s
4 Piezo Straight array (ie. not cross fired)

Single finished O10.5...

[b]O15TB[/b]
Tall Boy option, built exactly to spec. There's a build thread here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11971&hl=o15"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11971&hl=o15[/url] or here :P [url="http://finnbass.com/showthread.php?t=1906"]http://finnbass.com/showthread.php?t=1906[/url]
Eminence 3015lf Kappalite
recommended 8" speaker
Compression Driver (again recommended one)

Finished O15TB...

[/indent]
[b]COMPARISON[/b]

[b]Ease of Construction (wood work)[/b]
[indent]I'm no woodworking expert, I've put up shelves and made Ikea flat packs, but this is the first time I've tried anything like this.
[b]O15TB - 8/10[/b] This was the first cab I built and I found the wood work fairly straightforward. The tricky parts are making the midrange horn, and the overall size of the cab means you need quite a lot of working space, this size also means that it quite cumbersome to move around when clapming and drilling/countersinking holes etc.

Overall though all very straightforward and the plans are great.

[b]O10.5 - 8.5/10[/b] I was tempted to also give this an 8/10 but overall I found this build a little easier (I think in part that is down to me having a little more experience having already built one cab), there is also a real wealth of other experiences and build diaries online which prepared me for some of the problems. There are a few tricky moments, I found the hardest the making of the horn throat, and there's a fairly hair raising moment when cutting the front of this to the correct angle. Also as this is a much smaller cab it makes working with it much much easier, as you can move it around fairly effortlessly.

Again overall a straightforward build, although I may have found it trickier with less experience. [/indent]

For me there's a trade off here, the woodwork of the O15TB is very simple, however it's size makes it a bit trickier. On the other hand the O10.5 is a little more tricky with the wood work, but it's such a small box that the trickier parts are easier to address.

Tricky O15 Horn... I was pleased with this :P

[b]EASE OF CONSTRUCTION (wiring/electrics)[/b]
Last time I did any soldering was at school, for a GCSE project I made a toy car, the lights were supposed to flash, they did for a short while, and then I dropped it just as I was handing it in - I am no expert.

[indent][b]O15TB - 5/10[/b] I had to get help doing the electrics for this, I really didn't understand the crossover information. However prior to the build I didn't even know what a crossover was so that tells you about my starting point. I sought a lot of help from John @ Audio Components [url="http://www.audio-components.co.uk"]http://www.audio-components.co.uk[/url] who gave me a lot of his time and explained how crossovers work etc, then found me all the parts I needed. I also got a lot of help from my mums fella (an electrical engineer - he builds high end PC servers).

[b]O10.5 - 8/10[/b] There is no crossover in the O10.5 (although there is an option for a Piezo filter, which I have omitted for the time being) therefore the electrics are much simpler, the only tricky part is the wiring of the Piezo array, which is more fiddly than anything, the plans are really clear here. I did bugger up some of the soldering so agin went to seem my mums fella, he said it was a couple of dry solder joints, that I couldn't be blamed for as my soldering Iron was broken and wasn't getting hot enough (he'd given it to me, cheeky bugger) anyway he resoldered it on no time at all.

The other tricky (PITA) part of this was making the Piezo array. If you make it exactly as per the plans there are only mm clearance between the end of the array and the edge of the Cab, which worried me, so I had to shorten the end of the Piezos, by removing a section, then re-gluing on the ends. Then I filled and sanded all of the array to make it nice and flush, then I spray painted it black to make it look nice and neat. Then I dropped it ;) Here's a pic of the bloody glue repair line Grrrr...

[/indent]
Overall if you have the first clue about how to wield a soldering Iron you shouldn't find either of these a hassle, if not then you'll probably be like me and need to seek a little advice, but there's a wealh of people (both online and in the real world) who are more than willing to help :)

The O15 crossover...

O10.5 wiring...

[b]TONE / SOUND[/b]
[indent]
[b]O15TB - 10/10[/b] I find it difficult to imagine getting a better sound. The best way of describing it is 'more of everything' but not in an "I turned up all my EQs" way. Everything is very clear and crisp, with rich deep tones. Occasionally I find that the compression driver can be a bit bright for me, but because of the way the crossover works when you back the treble off on your amp/bass then the comp driver gets quieter. In terms of bass it's very very hard to get this cab to bottom out, even on a 5 string.

[b]O10.5 - 8/10[/b] I built these to be used both for PA and Bass, although I'm imagining they will get used more for PA, hence the melded array. The tone is incredibly punchy, and crystal clear in the mids. Again I find it very bright, but this was always to be expected given the 4 Piezos. It doesn't go as deep as the O15TB (and you wouldn't expect it to) when pushed hard we made it bottom out on a low B.
[/indent]
Both cabs sound awesome to me when compared to commercial cabs, and you'll find the clarity of both is simply astonishing, I would happily gig with either. However the deep rich lows of the O15TB are always going to win for me.

[b]VOLUME[/b]
[indent]
[b]O15TB - 8/10[/b] I always thought this was a very loud cab, easily keeping up (more often out doing) commercial 4x10s 1x15s and other common variants (like those Peaveys with 2X6 & 1X15). At volume the bass is all encompassing and will fill a room. I've found that this cab always sounds louder in a bigger room, even without changing the volume settings, I don't know why, or if this is just a perceived thing, I'm sure someone who knows the science of this better than me can explain.

[b]O10.5 - 9/10[/b] The reason I'v said that I always thought (past tense) that the O15TB was loud was because I simply can't get over just how loud the O10.5 is. A small 1x10 cab has no right whatsoever being as loud as this, the sensitivity is incredible. I've only used in the home, and not in a gig situation yet so I'm not in a position to comment completely but WTF everyone said they were loud, I'm just blown away. Again I'm sure in part that this is down to where this cab is strongest (in the mid range frequencies) and us hearing them. Two of these will easily keep up with commercially available 4x10's 1x15's etc. The only reason this isn't a 10/10 is because apparently the DRs are louder!
[/indent]
Overall I'm astonished by the volume of the O10.5's and TBH a little worried. one O10.5 kept up with the O15TB. When I tried all three cabs together (which was ridiculous) it was a struggle to hear the O15TB over the two O10.5's. I feel like I need to go back and check all my nuts etc are tightened properly, and there are no air leaks.

Both Cabs together...

[b]TRANSPORT[/b]
[indent]
[b]O15TB - 7/10[/b] For a big cab it's very easy to get around, the thin ply with clever bracing, and the Neodynium Woofer makes this a very light cab for it's size, and the tall thin profile makes it good for getting through doorways. Although the height does mean when you're carrying it you run the risk of bruised shins. I may have been able to avoid this by positioning my handles lower down. You could also do the Dave Perry Mod and add casters on the back.

[b]O10.5 - 9/10[/b] It's the same width as the O15TB, but a fraction of the height (14.5 inches, verses 39 inches!) SO it' massively more portable. It's heavier than I thought it would be, but I guess there's a lot more wood in a box this size than you'd expect (with the horn plates and braces) Also another builder commented on how mine (unloaded an unfinished) were heavier than his (completed and loaded with neo's). I used the Beta drivers rather than the Neo ones. So if you wanted to save weight use better wood, and Neo Drivers. All this said, it's still an easy one hand lift :huh:
[/indent]
[b]COST[/b]
[indent]
[b]O15TB - £350 approx.[/b]
[b]O10.5 - £110 aprox. (per cab) [/b] (i had lot's of bits left over and lying around, so you may want to add another £20 ish per cab)
[/indent]

[b]OVERALL[/b]
As above I'm astonished by the sensitivity and the output of the little O10.5 and can see myself using this a lot for band practices, and gigs with my double bass. However, I wouldn't trade my O15TB for anything else, I think for the O10.5 to truly compete with it you'd need to add a sub. IMHO there just isn't a better singe box option for bass available. All the clever crossovers etc. in the O15TB just give you the most awesome full deep, clear tone. It won't be to everyone's taste, if you're used to some ropey Ampeg 8x10 grumbling away at the back of the stage then the crystal clear tones of either of these amps really won't be for you.

I find these cabs really good for teaching, as the sensitivity can reveal things about people playing that you may not otherwise hear.

All in all I'm a very happy boy :angry:

Now onto the T39!.....

[i]PS my amp goes down to two ohms - the volume of all three together - ridiculous - I will never, ever need that much volume.[/i]

Interesting comparison, I've toyed with the idea of a O15TB, but I've no time.

I've gigged my 10.5's a couple of times and they're great in terms of sound, volume, and being able to carry one in each hand instead of one with two hands like my old Hartkes.

nice builds by the way

I made a full size Omni 10 last summer and it seems to do very well. Haven't gigged it yet, but got to practice with it last week and it sounded great (I anticipate that it will sound better after a few practices as the drivers are not worn in yet).

I'm toying with the idea of building an Omni 15TB this summer. This thread certainly makes it sound all the more enticing ;)