Why become a member? ×

Which String for my Fretless?

AndyThomas

Hi

I've just bought my first ever Fretless bass and I'm loving it. It's a Sei Flamboyant V (see Image below), and I feel pretty lucky to own it. I got it 2nd hand from the Bass Gallery.

I need some advise, what strings would you recommend? I'm trying to get that really warm Percy Jones/Jaco sound. At the moment it sounds a little too harsh. I've tried twiddling all the knobs but can't get it.

I currently use DR Hi-Beams 45 65 85 105 125. Great strings and worked well on my fretted bass but I'm not sure they're the right ones for the fretless.

It may have nothing to do with the strings of course. It's got Bare Knuckle J Style PIckups with Demeter 3 band Eq if that helps.

Any guidance would be appreciated

Andy

[attachment=19954:photo.jpg]

Andy - I hate to say it ,mate, but if you couldn't get such a superb instrument to make a sound close to the one you're looking for with whatever strings were on it in the shop , I doubt you ever will.

If you love it - put a set of your regular brand strings on and find sounds you like that it will do. Sure there'll be no shortage of them in something of that build quality.

God , yes - if it feels right you've cracked it.

Sounding good acoustically is a good sign of a class instrument too. If they 'speak' unplugged you know you're on a winner.

Honestly , I'd spend some time with it as it is , matey , before you potentially fix something that's probably not broken.

[quote name='AndyThomas' post='403649' date='Feb 8 2009, 07:01 PM']Hi

I've just bought my first ever Fretless bass and I'm loving it. It's a Sei Flamboyant V (see Image below), and I feel pretty lucky to own it. I got it 2nd hand from the Bass Gallery.

I need some advise, what strings would you recommend? I'm trying to get that really warm Percy Jones/Jaco sound. At the moment it sounds a little too harsh. I've tried twiddling all the knobs but can't get it.

I currently use DR Hi-Beams 45 65 85 105 125. Great strings and worked well on my fretted bass but I'm not sure they're the right ones for the fretless.

It may have nothing to do with the strings of course. It's got Bare Knuckle J Style PIckups with Demeter 3 band Eq if that helps.

Any guidance would be appreciated

Andy

[attachment=19954:photo.jpg][/quote]

first idea is flats...TI

then i remember i used to use dean markley fretmasters on my fretless...they have ground strings in the neck area and are full diameter where you pluck

if its an ebony board it will probably be happy with nickel rounds

i would not attempt stainless rounds on a fretless

but the tru bass strings since they are tape wound over round wound should be ok...if you like stainless brightness

Hi

I cant find the Markley ones on the web in the UK, however the Thomastik Jazz flat wound .043.056.070.100.136 may do the trick

I'm kind of feeling my way around the fretless stuff, but I want the warmest that does the elast damange to the fret board, it's a Macassar fretboard.

As Dave says it's probably just the nature of the bass

Andy

Edited by AndyThomas

[quote name='AndyThomas' post='403824' date='Feb 8 2009, 09:39 PM']Hi
I cant find the Markley ones on the web in the UK, however the Thomastik Jazz flat wound .043.056.070.100.136 may do the trick
I'm kind of feeling my way around the fretless stuff, but I want the warmest that does the elast damange to the fret board, it's a Macassar fretboard.
As Dave says it's probably just the nature of the bass
Andy[/quote]

neither can i ...i used them about 15 years ago... ;)

in retrospect with a 'soft' board i would stick to a nickel flat or tapewound roto

the TI cost a lot but have a very comfortable feel, bend easily, and have good sustain for a flat
they do..as most out of the packet flats feel a bit sticky but this soon goes
i have used them on and off with the TI jazz rounds on a 5 and having also used other flats do recommend them...notwithstanding any flats i havent used..

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-105800.html"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/inde...p/t-105800.html[/url]

have a look around two scrolls down...macassar ebony is mentioned

[url="http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=4549.0"]http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=4549.0[/url]
and this

i think you have a good strong board there but snail tails are unsightly...go for flats

Edited by mrcrow

THe warmth you are looking for will best be achieved by leaving the strings you have on there for at least a decade.

Seriously, tho'. New strings are horrible on a fretless. Leave them for a few months and then you will find them warmer (my current set of Rotosound Solo Bass strings are at least 6-7 years old. In my opinion,, new strings improve guitars but ruin basses!