Why become a member? ×

Humidifier ?

BigBeatNut

Does anyone here use a humidifier to keep reasonable conditions for a double bass ?

I'd really like to hear your recommendations for brands, and probably more particularly a humidifier rating (is it in watts ?), suitable for a largeish open plan flat with high ceilings.

My family clubbed together to get me one for Xmas. I've struggle to get it to do a reasonable job, and I've just accidentally discovered that having a hot bath with the bathroom door open is three times more effective than running the humidifier for 8 hours (but still not enough to get my flat up to the recommended realms of 40-45% humidity).

BTW, I'm doing this because my upright bass (luckily no expensive investment as yet) developed cracks last summer and needed repairs.

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received.

Andy

FWIW, the one I currently have is described as an 'Evaporative Air Cooler' combined with '2000W heater with optional humidifier'.

I've got all the controls set right and I am running the humidifier part.

It's a big old beast and is going to be expensive to run. I'd hate to think that the answer is 'buy a bigger one'.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='403564' date='Feb 8 2009, 05:34 PM']Why not one of [url="http://www.contrabass.co.uk/humidifier.htm"]these?[/url] Would probably work out a hell of a lot cheaper![/quote]
Have you used one ? What was your experience ?

I looked into those. The sum of my research was, unless you use one of these with the bass locked inside a case, they are (quoting from memory) "as effective as trying to humidify the Sahara with gnat piss". (I don't have a case, and if I did, I'm sure I would get sick of packing/unpacking every time I wanted to play it).

If anyone here has different experience I'd love to hear it.

Dunno, maybe I'm worrying about it too much given I'm in the UK climate, but people have commented that the air in my flat feels dry, and my upright (okay already with some faults in it) developed cracks last summer.

Andy

Why is your flat dry? Radiators? above a shop? Find out and try to remedy. I think electric humidifiers are a waste of electricity as the air in a room is exchanged on average (if a chimney is present) roughly every 15-20 mins.
I always have a bowl of water under my bass and keep it out of sunlight, never had any cracking.
Keep it well away from radiators (if poss turn off in the room bass is in) and try to ensure there is water near it most of the time.
If the water in the bowl dries up really quickly then you have a very dry atmosphere.
I have one of those humidifiers (the green one in the pic) but I have never really needed to use it, but then I hate central heating and only use it in the very coldest weather.
Jake

I also use one of those damp pipe thingies but I have a digital weather station (for a pretty accurate humidity reading) that lives on top of the piano (which is next to where my UB lives). My piano likes 46 - 52% humidity for tuning stability/ no loose hammers etc, and my bass is fine with that too.

I'd recommend keeping a bass near something you can water, like a big cheese plant or something.. (gags at your discretion..) ;)

[quote name='jakesbass' post='410339' date='Feb 15 2009, 07:34 PM']Why is your flat dry? Radiators? above a shop? Find out and try to remedy. I think electric humidifiers are a waste of electricity as the air in a room is exchanged on average (if a chimney is present) roughly every 15-20 mins.
I always have a bowl of water under my bass and keep it out of sunlight, never had any cracking.
Keep it well away from radiators (if poss turn off in the room bass is in) and try to ensure there is water near it most of the time.
If the water in the bowl dries up really quickly then you have a very dry atmosphere.
I have one of those humidifiers (the green one in the pic) but I have never really needed to use it, but then I hate central heating and only use it in the very coldest weather.
Jake[/quote]
My flat is dry because it needs a lot of heating (open plan, high ceilings, large window area) and the only heating available is storage heaters. No chimneys so not a lot of air exchange going on. If I do encourage air exchange (open windows) at this time of year, humidity drops like a stone. Since the flat is open plan turning off heaters in the room the bass is in means turning off heaters pretty much everywhere.

The bass is out of sunlight and is not close to any of the storage heaters.

For an experiment I'll try keeping the heating lower and using bowls of water near the bass ....

Thanks for the input, all. (and sorry for reply lag ... been away)

Andy