Why become a member? ×

Is it possible...

Tait

whilst looking at my distortion pedal, with a 3 band EQ, then gain and volume knobs, as well as a bypass footswitch, i wondered if it would be possible to take the electronics out of that and put them into a passive bass, as a sort of on board pre-amp and on board distortion effect. for someone like me, who hates passive basses and loves the sound I get out of my distortion pedal but can never be bothered with getting 2 leads and then fiddling with the knobs on 2 different pre-amps etc, this could be quite useful (and although i currently have no desire to do this, and no passive bass, maybe eventually i might try this on a cheap bass if it is possible, but atm dont bother recommending tools/luthiers or anything because thats not what im interested in right now) so would it be possible? i'm guessing it would, surely its just a case of wiring the input to the pickup and the output to the jack?

im asking about pedals in general, but i dont know much about pedals so if theres a huge difference between different pedals we'll talk about my marshall guv'nor distortion pedal, the one i was wondering about. i realise its probably not possible with multi-effects, either, because surely you need a digital screen and a huge hole in the back of your bass to do it.

and has anyone done this?

Yes it is of course possible. Axes-R-us as well as other online outlets sell micro-effects circuits and knobs to fit into guitar bodies (as well as eq'a and pre-amps).
the only real drawback is having to take your bass off, lie it on the floor then stomp on it every time you want to turn the effect on or off. this can be a real pain mid-gig.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='402266' date='Feb 6 2009, 06:51 PM']Yes it is of course possible. Axes-R-us as well as other online outlets sell micro-effects circuits and knobs to fit into guitar bodies (as well as eq'a and pre-amps).
the only real drawback is having to take your bass off, lie it on the floor then stomp on it every time you want to turn the effect on or off. this can be a real pain mid-gig.[/quote]

would it not be quite simple to switch the footswitch (dunno what its called, the bit you stomp on, anyway) out with say a mini toggle switch or something?