Why become a member? ×

Anyone de-combo'd a combo?

Hoppo75

Hey folks,

I'm the proud owner of a rather lovely Trace Elliot 715 combo (an old begger) with the 130 watt series 6 GP7 amp and was wondering if anyone had ever taken the head out to use as a 'Head only' set up. Might sound a bit daft, but let me explain. I'm in the process of becoming the proud owner of josh3184's Hartke Pro 2x12 cab, and as I love what the Trace gives me, even as simple as it is, it'd be a perfect stop gap til I get the green light to buy my Hartke head. Might seem like a nutter question, and probably is, but it'd also save me hunting out a new head as work has me all over the place. I'm pretty sure that the trace runs as low as 4 ohms, hence running the hartke won't be a problem (or at least I think not), but I'm interested to see if anyone has done this before. Don't panic, like I say, I do plan to go for a new head at some point, but just thought this would buy me some more time and please the missus as I won't be spending anymore cash (well, for now anyway). I'll probably post swap + cash deal at some point for the trace combo against a head, but again, was just wondering.

Any thoughts?

[quote name='Hoppo75' post='400927' date='Feb 5 2009, 12:41 PM']Hey folks,

I'm the proud owner of a rather lovely Trace Elliot 715 combo (an old begger) with the 130 watt series 6 GP7 amp and was wondering if anyone had ever taken the head out to use as a 'Head only' set up. Might sound a bit daft, but let me explain. I'm in the process of becoming the proud owner of josh3184's Hartke Pro 2x12 cab, and as I love what the Trace gives me, even as simple as it is, it'd be a perfect stop gap til I get the green light to buy my Hartke head. Might seem like a nutter question, and probably is, but it'd also save me hunting out a new head as work has me all over the place. I'm pretty sure that the trace runs as low as 4 ohms, hence running the hartke won't be a problem (or at least I think not), but I'm interested to see if anyone has done this before. Don't panic, like I say, I do plan to go for a new head at some point, but just thought this would buy me some more time and please the missus as I won't be spending anymore cash (well, for now anyway). I'll probably post swap + cash deal at some point for the trace combo against a head, but again, was just wondering.

Any thoughts?[/quote]

I'm sure Voodoosnake (Col) did this with one of his combos. Might be worth dropping him a line

It totally depends on how the combo head is wired up in there! It would have been dead easy with my old Trace V4 as the whole head unit came out in one, meaning id just need a sleeve and a socket for the speaker out.

Have a look at how easy it is to get at the head unit before doing anything else ;)