Why become a member? ×

Strings for Spector LX5

niceguyhomer

I'm having a problem getting a 130 B string to fit in the bridge slot of my Spector Euro LX5. My preferred DR Sunbeams wouldn't fit so I did a bit of careful filing and afterwards the B string went in with a bit of persuasion but sounded a bit dead. I tried an EB Slinky 130 and it was exactly the same.

So I thought bugger this and emailed PJ at Spector to try and buy a new bridge at a discount price because I think it's not designed properly if it won't accept 2 different, popular makes of string. He tells me that the ones they have are exactly the same.

So I have to change strings but don't want to drop to a 125 B. Anybody got any recommendations or suggestions?

Ta very glad. ;)

If you've created a greater area of contact where the string goes over the saddle Al then you may be damping the string. Even a small change can do this.

String wise I can't suggest a solution unless you drop a gauge. I find Ernie Ball's underrated but string choice is very personal.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='398737' date='Feb 3 2009, 11:35 AM']If you've created a greater area of contact where the string goes over the saddle Al then you may be damping the string. Even a small change can do this.

String wise I can't suggest a solution unless you drop a gauge. I find Ernie Ball's underrated but string choice is very personal.[/quote]
When I bought my Euro LX5, the shop's guitar tech fitted it with a new set of Ernie Balls. I got them to throw new strings in to sweeten the deal. Grudgingly, I have to admit that they play great, and the low B is crystal clear. Not sure of the guage though.

• 1 month later...