Why become a member? ×

P bass advice please

Marky L

Could some one give me a bit of advice on the P bass in the link.
This is the sorta thing I want and it all seems original but I was wondering about the fact it has no stamp on the end of the neck. That and it looks in very good condition. (pity it’s the US and the £ is so pants). I think the price is gonna run though.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1978-79-VINTAGE-FENDER-PRECISION-USA-BASS-OLYMPIC-WHITE_W0QQitemZ280309390322QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item280309390322&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1978-79-VINTAGE-FEND...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

I’m burning for a 70’s white/black/rw P bass.. burning bad!! There is another on ebay, but if I mention it here.. will others have a pop for it?? Sorry gotta be selfish when the GAS comes. ;)

[quote name='Marky L' post='398635' date='Feb 3 2009, 09:56 AM']Could some one give me a bit of advice on the P bass in the link.
This is the sorta thing I want and it all seems original but I was wondering about the fact it has no stamp on the end of the neck. That and it looks in very good condition. (pity it’s the US and the £ is so pants). I think the price is gonna run though.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1978-79-VINTAGE-FENDER-PRECISION-USA-BASS-OLYMPIC-WHITE_W0QQitemZ280309390322QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item280309390322&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1978-79-VINTAGE-FEND...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

I’m burning for a 70’s white/black/rw P bass.. burning bad!! There is another on ebay, but if I mention it here.. will others have a pop for it?? Sorry gotta be selfish when the GAS comes. ;)[/quote]

Looks good to me but I hope you've got a lot of cash: reserve not met, A-neck will mean a lot of people will be after it so the price will go up anyway, plus over £100 courier fee to UK plus import duty. And then, what if there' s a problem? I'd go to Denmark St to be honest, the price will work out much the same.
Good luck either way
Chris

Edited by Beedster

Sage advice indeed Chris.
Maybe I need to consider the alternate one, at least it's in the UK but would need a new s/plate.

I liked the fact the US one has the "A" neck, original case and it looked in fine nick.

A lot of cash? uhmm not really!!

[quote name='Marky L' post='398724' date='Feb 3 2009, 11:22 AM']Sage advice indeed Chris.
Maybe I need to consider the alternate one, at least it's in the UK but would need a new s/plate.

I liked the fact the US one has the "A" neck, original case and it looked in fine nick.

A lot of cash? uhmm not really!![/quote]

It's the rarity of an A-neck on a let 70's Precision that'll push the price up. The UK one is probably a better bet, and unless you're a collector, pickguards are no big deal (the original pickguards of most 70's Precisions I've owned were long gone by the time I owned them). Another issue is that you could spend close to £2000 total on this bass (import duty is on the bass plus the courier) and find it's a dog. If so, you'll lose a lot of cash selling in the UK. At least if buying here you can usually play first.
Chris
If you want a budget 70's Precision, check out mine in Basses for Sale ;)

When I saw yours I thought I had it nailed, but I really really want a rosewood neck and not maple and a genuine US body for this purchase. Though it is in the back of my mind still.

Yeah, I conveniently forgot the import duty.. I think the UK based one is the way to go and just get a new plate. I'm not a collector but I'd like it to be as close to original as possible.

i know you want a geniune one, but i'd seriously recommend trying out a fender CIJ 70's reissue, my dad has a white one, black pickguard, rosewood neck, like you want, and its absolutely brilliant. has US pickups, too. its getting nicely mojo'd now, too, and hes only had it a few years.

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='399228' date='Feb 3 2009, 06:29 PM']i know you want a geniune one, but i'd seriously recommend trying out a fender CIJ 70's reissue, my dad has a white one, black pickguard, rosewood neck, like you want, and its absolutely brilliant. has US pickups, too. its getting nicely mojo'd now, too, and hes only had it a few years.[/quote]

Does he want to sell it?? Seriously??

I managed to miss 2 for sale on here recently and I am happy to go down the CIJ route if one comes along. I guess I would really like an original from the 70's to fill that nostalgia hole, but when reality strikes (looking at the bank balance), I'd certainly entertain the Jap version as an option if one comes up soon.

M.

[quote name='Marky L' post='399862' date='Feb 4 2009, 12:15 PM']Does he want to sell it?? Seriously??

I managed to miss 2 for sale on here recently and I am happy to go down the CIJ route if one comes along. I guess I would really like an original from the 70's to fill that nostalgia hole, but when reality strikes (looking at the bank balance), I'd certainly entertain the Jap version as an option if one comes up soon.

M.[/quote]

no, he doesn't want to sell it lol. i was just saying that you might be better going for one of them than actually waiting for a real 70s one.

they have them [url="http://guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?f=data_fender_japan_new_guitars&a=2"]here[/url] though. and i believe (i may be mistaken) that the owner of this site is a basschat member.