Why become a member? ×

G&L 2000 in good nick - what's it worth?

KevB

I was playing someone's G&L at the weekend and it so happens this guy has *another* one, a 2000 model in good nick that he might sell. Not sure of the age but I vaguely recall seeing him play it once a few months ago it looked and sounded great. These are US models, not tributes. Anyone know what sort of ball park fugure they would consider sensible, I know what he's asking but wanted opinions as i think it might be a bit on the high side. Buying it would really mean I'd have to let one of my currently underused ones go and in this financial climate I'd probably make a massive loss in my sale.

Seems obvious, but completely down to age. CLF era models are much more collectable. With these also it's down to age and specification - chrome plate and "signature" decal examples command the highest prices. BBE era, it's down to specification - unusual woods and finishes make a difference - ebony touchboard, for example. If it's an average US model from the past ten years, you can pick examples up for £500 without any problem.

Like many people you seem at pains to stress that it's a US and not a Tribute model. Unfortunatley, with G&L, and particularly the L2000, the availability and quality of Japanese Premium and Korean/Indonesian Tribute models has done the resale value of the US model no favours. Japanese models are as good, if not better than US models, and can be bought for circa £400.