Why become a member? ×

U-TONE-pia

tombboy

Just finished a recording session (last before my studio is up and running) and I think I've absolutely NAILED my recording tone.
Sandberg PM4 dialled a tad to the P-pup into a Markbass TA-503. Gain and master at 10-11hrs... same with line out (was DI-ing).
All eq fairly flat (very small boost on the VPF). Cup of tea and some choccie digestives!!!

Sounded like heaven... the engineer was scared to touch anything in case he screwed it up. Reckoned it was the best he's ever heard a bass!!!!!!

Edited by tombboy

Had something close....

I generally play fretless live and fretted in the studio.. Simply for the fact that bad pitching on a record can be a pretty expensive c0ck up! But a couple of weeks ago I braved it through 8 tracks of a 'live' recording pretty much pitch perfect (well as close to obviously)..

Simple set up, My Thumb Fretless 5 DI to desk tweaked with Amplitube. The finger sound came out pretty sweet, but my slapped fills sounded like the finger board was made out of tin.........???????? My guess is they set the presence too high in Amplitube.

But that band were on a budget and it was all recorded and mixed in 20 hours.

Not really a U-TONE-pia but 'musnt grumble!'.

Edited by faz_man

Fingers -> Lakland Skyline JO (passive Lindy's) -> Ashdown ABM C110 combo (eq OFF, pre-shape ON, gain 3/4, solid/valve on 1/2) -> internal 10" & Aguilar GS112 extension.

Best tone I've ever got. Sounds pretty wicked with a pick on the same settings but with the bridge pickup rolled off to 3/4.