Why become a member? ×

Hello from the Cotswolds

SG-Rossignol

Hey, Im Tom, 19, from Gloucestershire.

I only started to learn bass because it was the only instrument missing from my friends punk rock band, so I thought I'd give it a go using a friends bass. I instantly fell in love the instrument but alas the band did not last long. I am completely self taught, although sometimes I wish I'd had lessons because I never know if I'm doing things correctly or the easiest way possible. Infact one of my reasons for joining was to maybe pick up some tips from you more experienced bassists out there.

I have a Mania VTB-4B, an old Laney 150 watt amp and a Boss Bass Distortion pedal.
I am hoping to purchase an EB Musicman Stingray soon though... a decision I'm sure most of you will support.

I am interested in mainly rock/metal music, and lets not forget my punk back ground, so I mainly use a pick in my playing. This does not mean I don't like to jam out with my digits! I can play with my fingers as I feel it is an important part of bass playing, and I know how controversial this issue its with a lot of Bassists.

Some of my favorite bassist are... Matt Freeman - Rancid, Roger Manganelli - Less Than Jake, Max Green - Escape The Fate, Frank Black - The Fall Of Troy, Juan Alderete - The Mars Volta and of course Flea

Nice too meet you! ;)

Tom xx

hi tom, don't wory too much about the right way, the easiest way is the best! I have only just realised for instance it's easier to play octaves with my little finger than my ring. I also wish i had not been suckered into the fingers are better thing, i can't use a pick in anger! try playing Fall back down finger style

Hi Tom - welcome to the forum! ;)

Sounds like you started the way lots of us did (although sometimes it's a sideways move from gtr). You're right about the pick / fingers thing - it is controversial, though God knows why...whatever works for you or the song is what works best (IMHO).

In terms of tips, you'll find a lot of stuff here on gear and a bit less on technique and performance - see the forum post counts! If you feel like asking questions, go right ahead, but be aware that everyone will chip in and threads have a tendency to wander. There's some useful stuff in the Wiki section you may also wish to peruse at your leisure.

If you're after a Stingray, there are a fair few threads on here about that fine instrument, including the recent swings in secondhand prices - in short, they're a bit depressed at the moment, so now might be a good time to scan the basses for sale forum.

Nice to have you here - good luck.

Edited by skankdelvar