Why become a member? ×

book recommendation for a beginner

pobolycwm

Hi
after a few years of deciding to play an instrument i settled on a bass (i think its because i like jazz but dont have the room for a double bass) .
at 7.30 this am i saw a bass guitar mgoing free on a local freecycle by 8.30 i was driving off to pick it up
its only a cheapy boston so the chap said

i have a guitar, i have a borrowed amp, i have watched a few vids on youtube and various sites but i am after a good book for beginners that i can sit and read whilst twanging away on the noisemaker
any help or ideas greatly appreciated

cheers
pob

This book is very under-rated and is one of the better books I have seen for someone wanting to get into jazz:
[url="http://www.jazzwise.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=9140"]http://www.jazzwise.com/catalog/product_in...roducts_id=9140[/url]

It is a better starting point than books by J Goldsby, Rufus Reid, Chuck Sher etc and helps you make better sense of those books, once you get past the basics of playing to changes, using substitutions, etc.

Hi,
Are you starting to play bass from the start?

If so, the Hal Leonard Bass book by Ed Friedland "Electric Bass Method - Complete Edition" has had a lot of good reviews, & would probably be a great help with getting all the basics down. Ed Friedland has also written 3 or 4 Jazz Bass books as well (all his stuff is top notch & very well laid out).

Hope this helps?

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

[quote name='High score' post='388576' date='Jan 22 2009, 02:40 PM']Highly recommend

''Progressive Bass Guitar by Gary Turner and Brenton White''

Really good for getting you started without dragging you through theory first.[/quote]

100 tips for bass guitar by stuart clayton - not just a tip's compendium but a complete tuition book. Also has handy section with sound samples of several different basses so you can hear the difference between them. Also Bass Handbook by Adrian Ashton