Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT5 pro

peteb

I recently bought a well gigged SVT5. The amp sounds great but there is a bit of a problem when I start the thing up.

The chap I bought it off told me to leave it for five minutes on mute when I first turn it on (I have heard other people say the same thing about similar period USA built SVTs). However, when I do this the amp turns itself on and off a few times causing a pop to come thru the speakers every time it shuts itself down. Presumably this should not happen if the amp is on mute. After a few minutes this stops and it works fine (I have taken to not the plugging the cab in until the amp warms up).

Does anyone had a similar problem or know if this is normal? Does anybody have a circuit diagram for a USA built Ampeg SVT5 pro (I guess it would be about 5 years old)? I have taken the amp to a mate who is a qualified repairs guy, but of course he can only work on it for five minutes at a time as this does not occur once the amp has warmed up!

Cheers - Pete

Sounds like a bit of a dodgy one and I have heard of other people having problems with the SVT5, but I couldn't recall what. I know a chap who gave up on his SVT 4 as it failed so miserably.

Might be able to locate a schem' for you. Failing that, Loud Technologies now look after Ampeg stuff in the UK, as I'm sure you have prob' found out already.. you may be able to get a Schematic from them.

Cheers dood – a Schematic would be very helpful if you can get hold of one.

I should say that I’ve gigged the amp a couple of times and it sounds fine. I got it pretty cheap from a semi name band via ebay, so it has been toured a lot and I wouldn’t expect it to be like new. It’s just that the fact that the mute doesn’t seem to work doesn’t work doesn’t exactly install confidence……