Why become a member? ×

8 ohm speakers

beerdragon

I have a cab with some blown speakers and i have no what they are. i bought two ten inch 100watt Celestion 8ohm speakers from Lean audio to fit in the cab. talking to a Musician friend he tells me that cant put two 8 ohm speakers in and get a 8 ohm cab and link it up with another cab with tens in. he says i either need two fours, which are hard to find or two sixteens. correct?

[quote name='beerdragon' post='386076' date='Jan 20 2009, 01:56 PM']I have a cab with some blown speakers and i have no what they are. i bought two ten inch 100watt Celestion 8ohm speakers from Lean audio to fit in the cab. talking to a Musician friend he tells me that cant put two 8 ohm speakers in and get a 8 ohm cab and link it up with another cab with tens in. he says i either need two fours, which are hard to find or two sixteens. correct?[/quote]

That is correct. Two 8 ohms speakers in a cab will give you 16 ohms if wired in series or 4 ohms if wired in parallel.

The key question is, what load is your amp expecting?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='386100' date='Jan 20 2009, 02:07 PM']That is correct. Two 8 ohms speakers in a cab will give you 16 ohms if wired in series or 4 ohms if wired in parallel.

The key question is, what load is your amp expecting?[/quote]

My nephew has just bought a 300watt TE off ebay and i had some cabs laying around so i intended to give them to him. so its a 300watt Trace Elliot. so are you saying i could still use them if i wired them in parallel? thanks for the reply.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='386141' date='Jan 20 2009, 02:28 PM']My nephew has just bought a 300watt TE off ebay and i had some cabs laying around so i intended to give them to him. so its a 300watt Trace Elliot. so are you saying i could still use them if i wired them in parallel? thanks for the reply.[/quote]

If you wired it in parallel it would be 4 ohms. You could use that one cab and that cab only as your Trace is expecting a 4ohm load. Don't plug any more in though as your trace will fry.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='386164' date='Jan 20 2009, 02:41 PM']Ah right that's what i was told. i remember now. sorry for sounding a bit thick. i'll see if i can see if i can sell the speakers on here. they still untouched in the boxes. cheers.[/quote]

No problemo.