Why become a member? ×

Earthbound Audio Supercollider Oscillating Beast

dannybuoy

I've had the MkI Supercollider for a while now since being blown away by Burgermeister's original clips on Talkbass. When I saw this version pop up I ordered it straight away, and have been lucky enough to end up with the first one made! ;)

At 4.5" x 5.5", it's bigger than the original which was 3.5" x 4.5". The jacks are positioned on top this time which may save some pedalboard space, although I like to play this pedal first in line so the top mounted jacks can be a pain to access depending on your arrangement. It has 3 coloured LEDs, green, white and blue, 2 extra stomps labelled Osc 1 and Osc 2, plus a knob for Osc 2. Internally, things have improved with a better quality PCB, better jacks, new battery and cable clips, and tidier soldering (not that it was bad before, but now it's very neat indeed). Here's some pics:

So what do these new controls do? Turning on Osc 1 makes the pedal generate a oscillating tone in the background that creeps in as your note volume decays. The pitch and timbre of this can be affected by the depth and gain controls, as well as the vol/tone controls on your bass. If you have a buffered pedal before the Supercollider then the guitar's knobs do not affect the tone as much, so I like to run this pedal first in line. Then again I like my Boss OC-2 before it, so I may look at getting a true bypass strip to get the best of both worlds. This switch also seems to increase the gain and bass, making it sound even more βΘИΞКЯŲŜĦÏИĞ.

Osc 2 is a more intense oscillator that has more strength to overpower your signal and get things a bit crazier. The pitch and sound of this can also be affected by the knobs on both the pedal and your bass. By turning the gain down and having the Osc 2 knob down quite low you can get very gated synthy settings, although without much low end. Like Osc 1 it also changes the fuzz tone as well as providing oscillation and crazy noises. It's possible to get very useable sounds with both engaged, and also to get crazy sounds when reducing the gain or guitar volume.

A pedal like this is hard to do clips of. You can spend ages playing with it, tweaking all the knobs to try and figure out what you can get out of it - so [url="http://www.box.net/shared/enube1p1f8"]the clip here is 11 minutes of me arsing about with it[/url]. It starts off with normal Supercollider mode, gain maxed, depth on minimum, mids and tone almost full. Then Osc 1 comes in and the riff is repeated (note the extra heaviness!), and after that I just go off on one with Osc 2 on most of the time. Most of it sounds awful but there's some good sounds in there too! There's also a [url="http://www.box.net/shared/hmajobp91d"]clip of me playing a couple of Muse basslines[/url], because I felt like it. All clips are recorded using a Squier Vintage Modified P-Bass direct into a Radial JDI and Mackie Onyx Satellite.

Overall I'm digging it and it's going on the board. Mark at Earthbound has now stopped taking orders for these (you can still order the regular Supercollider though) but will make them every now and then and sell them through [url="http://www.etsy.com/"]www.etsy.com/[/url].

Edited by The Burpster