Why become a member? ×

Cheap clip on mics

steviedee

Hi Folks I've just bought a K&K Dual-channel Pro Preamp I'm intending to use it with my wing pickup and a fingerboard clicky for rockabilly/country slap but wondered if I could plug a mic in instead of the clicky for a different sound?

So the upshot being are there any cheap clipon mics around I could mess around with .... we are talking BUDGET here ;)

Edited by steviedee

Guest Jecklin

Maplin is your best bet:

[url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?menuno=11958"]http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?menuno=11958[/url]

They do one for £12.99, that used to be a tenner a few years back.
This cheaper one apparently goes down to 20hz where as the 20 quid ones go to 50 and 60 hz.
In real world terms I don't know how beneficial this ends up being though.

Low gain, treble emphasis, a bit hissy but it's (was) a tenner!
Ran it through a good preamp and eq and it was solid.
I put it in a roll of very dense foam and wedging it in the strings behind the bridge pointing towards the fingerboard.

Note these will be feedback magnets though.
I used it for front of house stuff only.

This reminds me I may well have to get another one after losing mine to try out mic'ing up my new instrument.

Cheers
Thomas

Edited by Jecklin

[quote name='steviedee' post='382224' date='Jan 16 2009, 12:08 PM']Hi Folks I've just bought a K&K Dual-channel Pro Preamp I'm intending to use it with my wing pickup and a fingerboard clicky for rockabilly/country slap but wondered if I could plug a mic in instead of the clicky for a different sound?[/quote]

The dual pro, takes line sources only so you'd need to preamplify the mic to line level. If you got this from K & K new, exchange it for the Trinity preamp, which will take a line and a mic source. They are a nice couple who run K&K, I was a dealer for their products in the 90s. The dual Pro takes high impedance piezo sources only, at 1 Meg.

[quote name='steviedee' post='382224' date='Jan 16 2009, 12:08 PM']So the upshot being are there any cheap clipon mics around I could mess around with .... we are talking BUDGET here ;)[/quote]

There are several, and it really depends on what you want the mic to do: pick up click or bass. A tie pin mic will work to pick up click and presence. If if you have small mic and want to pick up low end, run it inside the instrument if you know how to do that.

Edited by synaesthesia