Why become a member? ×

Get It On/ Bang A Gong

cytania

Thanks to my bass tutor for this. It's a simple funky line that that will give that 'dit-dat-dee-dat' 'Get It On' groove.

-------------------
--2-----------------
---------4----2--4-
---------------------

You'll see other tabs on the net, give these to your guitarists for licks and fills. Also the song has a bass solo, ignore it and let your guitar do the break. Concentrate on getting a solid groove. That line fits in with a straight kick snare 4:4 beat any drummer can provide.

On the verse lines you add

----------------------
----------4--2--4--2-
--0-------------------
----------------------

After the first groove, it's really effective. On the chorus you simple root G and A, play my first groove twice and then root G and A again.

On the record there are multiple layers. Bass and guitar parts blend into a grooving whole (the guitars are wonderfully rhythmic). I've seen several bands attempt this song and either root all the way through (zero funkiness) or attempt all the departures and solos (groove kill). IMHO bass needs to rule the beat on this one to prevent what the guitars do sounding twiddly twang. But enough technical talk ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='cytania' post='381688' date='Jan 15 2009, 08:23 PM']Thanks to my bass tutor for this. It's a simple funky line that that will give that 'dit-dat-dee-dat' 'Get It On' groove.

-------------------
--2-----------------
---------4----2--4-
---------------------[/quote]

I'm thinking that would sound a tad empty with just 1 guitarist.....

I play this, shuffles it along nicely

-------------------
--2-2----------2------
---------4-------4-
---------------------

Edited by OldG

Yeah a shuffle feel is good, what I like about my line is you rock your hand as you play it, something I look for in basslines, often find classic ones have a natural lilting hand motion. Not guarranteed buta good rule of thumb.

Feel I try to give it is a swinging funky feel, when I'm having one of those days when practise is a slog I have to work to prevent it sounding like lead boots.

As regards the solo, I imagine the studio conversation with Tony Visconti went like this;

"But the guitarists have already left while we were doing overdubs, how about we just drop in the bass doing a run?"

or maybe

"No Marc you picked up the bass! Oh well sounds sort of good that way, let's keep that take, pubs are opening..."

To me it's not a BASS SOLO it's just a solo on bass guitar, like the way some of Duane Eddy's guitar lines are actually played on basses on record, doesn't make him a bass player...