Why become a member? ×

Does anyone own a Shuker Artist (acoustic)

Veils

Hey man,
I haven't played an Artist, but I do have one of Jon's J Basses and it's bloody brilliant!
I'd be wary of going down the Artist route unless you where looking for something to give you a more acoustic sounding bass for use in a suitable context.
I get the impression you're a bit of a rocker, so I'm not sure the Artist would be your cup of tea.

Just my 2p mate.

Eude

Well I am in a heavy band, but my own playing style is a million miles from that really. I have started up another band recently which is more along recent Incubus type vibe, but a lot of the songs we are writing now are going to be acoustic pieces, so I figured an acoustic bass would be really good to have. I can still use my new arrival for gigging until I fancy moving onto a jazz. But we're trying to keep our options open to have a fully acoustic set and a fully electric set for the other band.

Ah...
In that case, the Artist might be right up your street.
I know I'd like one for some of my more "acoustic moments".
I've always flirted with the idea of a Lined Fretless 30" Scale 6 String Single Cut Artist with an F Hole, Rosewood top and a single Kent Armstrong Pickup towards the neck and a Piezo bridge for some sweet thick upright style tones, god knows what it'd cost though!!!
Might just ask Jon for a quick guesstimate, but it'd have to go on the back burner till next year some time.
Maybe one day though...

Might be worth giving Rob at Shuker a shout, as he's provided a lot of the sound clips on Jon's site, including one for an Artist bass and is a professional bassist, he might be able to give you some feedback on his own "real world" experience of an Artist bass.

Cheers,
Eude

When 'Funkmaster' Dave and I went to visit Jon we both played 2 artists that were in stock - maybe they were orders , not sure.

One had the schertler pup system , the other piezo. We were both impressed with both basses and Dave esp. was knocked out by the tone of the schertler one. He'd just bought a Jack Bruce Warwick fretless or I think he'd have had to be dragged away.

As it happens I am going to go and speak to him about the whole shebang this weekend. I am going back to Buxton with my mate for his birthday outing and his workshop is a pretty lil drive away so I will talk with Jon and Rob if he is there? He hasn't been on my last few visits - in fact I haven't seen him since the day Jon moved workshops! I am aware he had a rather nasty ankle break?

I quite like the idea of having one for a really nice upright style tone because I think it would sit really well with the acoustic stuff I am writing in the other band ;)

Also - I have asked Jon in an email but i assume he must have just skipped over it and forgot to answer - but does he build acoustic guitars? The lad I am playing with has a really nice Larrivee but I have finally talked him round to asking Jon to build him something and he wants a plush acoustic :P

i played an artist many moons ago when i got my bass and it's a lovely middle ground between acoustic and solid. and you know with jon the work will be top notch. so if it's a hollowbody you want i think it'll be a great choice!

as for the acoustic. Jon used to do acoustics in collaboration with another person, but for un-known reasons it didn't work out and he stopped the line..