Why become a member? ×

Stingray Pickup/Preamp Question

lateralus462

Right - the Stingray I bought recently has a switch which when I bought I was told was an Active/Passive switch - on closer inspection it seems that the pickup itself has been modded as well as the pre so it can be tapped. (Also the jack socket has been replaced for the same sort of one you get on Active Ibanez basses (and some wood removed to make this fit - this one I'm kind of pissed about!!!!)

The work seems to have been done fairly neatly (except for the jack socket!!!!) but I'm wondering whether it's worth getting it returned to stock, and if so where I would go to get this done and how much it would cost (cos if it's likely to be too much I may as well save up and buy a john east mm pre or similar and get a new MM pickup)

And a really bad photo of the mods to the pre itself so the switch for the coil tap could be fitted

Sorry about the pic quality

Edited by lateralus462

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='380695' date='Jan 14 2009, 09:09 PM']I guess the obvious answer to your question is do you like how it sounds at the moment?
I'd only put it back to stock if it sounded bad or if I was selling it on.[/quote]

Actually - I've found out I really do like the sounds (just got back from rehearshal)- the split coil sound for slap is outstandingly good and it gives a bit more tonal variety to the whole Stingray thing (they are a bit of a one trick pony aren't they ;) )

I'm fairly sure I want to keep it how it is now, tbh the thing that worried me was that the split pickup sounded a little bit thin through my crappy pc speakers at home - through my amp at practice tonight it sounded HUGE!!!!

I love my bass.

[quote name='lateralus462' post='380862' date='Jan 14 2009, 11:53 PM'](they are a bit of a one trick pony aren't they ;) )[/quote]I'm a massive fanboy but I can't re-he-he-aly argue with you there.

[quote name='lateralus462' post='380862' date='Jan 14 2009, 11:53 PM']I love my bass.[/quote]Glad to hear it.