Why become a member? ×

DIY cabs

RichardH

9 hours ago, verb said:

Thank you for your replies.

I understand that Tuffcab is designed for a textured finish. I wasn't clear in my post with regard to the finish I had achieved on my test piece, the finish was textured but smooth, if that makes sense. 

I don't mind a slightly rough surface, it's the white marks where the raised bits have been that I would like to avoid.

I prepared the surface as you described and don't appear to have any adhesion issues. I only filled some screw holes using wood glue and sawdust.

I will try altering my application and see if I get better results. 

Thanks again

Have you just done a single coat? I normally do three coats but that may be because I've done painting and decorating for a living and three coats are a thing. Primer, undercoat and top coat.

my first coat is just to cover and create a primed surface and I apply the paint with a brush which gets into every crevice and leaves a flatter surface. This first coat is usually very thin. Then I apply a second coat where I  keep rolling with a fine roller to get as even a coverage as possible. The paint is jelly like and stays open for at least 20mins so you can keep re-working it until there are no large bumps. I coat the whole cab then re-roll the whole cab in one go with even pressure and speed on the roller. Once this is dry I apply a much thicker layer of paint, the texture layer. Usually I use a coarse foam roller for this to give more texture but that is just my taste, I've done it with the smooth foam roller and also tufted rollers just to experiment with finish and it all works. This is where I take my time and care. The final coat needs to be done with a steady hand, a constant roller speed (I go really slowly) and even pressure. If you make a mistake and a panel looks diferent from the rest you can just flatten it with the roller and try again. I find it quite relaxing as the paint is so forgiving and you can vary the texture just by changing the pressure and roller speed.

don't knock the nibs off though :) You'll get white marks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Have you just done a single coat? I normally do three coats but that may be because I've done painting and decorating for a living and three coats are a thing. Primer, undercoat and top coat.

my first coat is just to cover and create a primed surface and I apply the paint with a brush which gets into every crevice and leaves a flatter surface. This first coat is usually very thin. Then I apply a second coat where I  keep rolling with a fine roller to get as even a coverage as possible. The paint is jelly like and stays open for at least 20mins so you can keep re-working it until there are no large bumps. I coat the whole cab then re-roll the whole cab in one go with even pressure and speed on the roller. Once this is dry I apply a much thicker layer of paint, the texture layer. Usually I use a coarse foam roller for this to give more texture but that is just my taste, I've done it with the smooth foam roller and also tufted rollers just to experiment with finish and it all works. This is where I take my time and care. The final coat needs to be done with a steady hand, a constant roller speed (I go really slowly) and even pressure. If you make a mistake and a panel looks diferent from the rest you can just flatten it with the roller and try again. I find it quite relaxing as the paint is so forgiving and you can vary the texture just by changing the pressure and roller speed.

don't knock the nibs off though :) You'll get white marks!

Thanks Phil 

I did 3 coats but wasn't happy with the finish. I lightly sanded and did a 4th but still had the little bits.

From your application description(thank you), to get the finish I would like I need to change how I'm applying the paint, it must have been luck I got it right on my test piece. 

So the white marks are normal if you knock the nibs off, I had wondered if I'd stored the paint incorrectly and affected it.

5 hours ago, verb said:

Thanks Phil 

I did 3 coats but wasn't happy with the finish. I lightly sanded and did a 4th but still had the little bits.

From your application description(thank you), to get the finish I would like I need to change how I'm applying the paint, it must have been luck I got it right on my test piece. 

So the white marks are normal if you knock the nibs off, I had wondered if I'd stored the paint incorrectly and affected it.

I've never knocked them off TBH but scuffs come up whiteish surprisingly.

• Like 1