Why become a member? ×

4 String to 8 String (Hagstrom H8 style) Idea

TheoC

I'm going to start off by saying this is just an idea, haven't experimented with it.... yet.

So I have a spare 4 string P-Bass style neck lying around from a Boston P-Bass that I got for £35, I switched the neck due to the old one being very bowed (Not sure if the truss rod was broken, think it may be, I'll find out for sure when I get back from work). I was zoned out staring at this bass neck when I had the idea of turning it into a Hagstrom H8 style 8 string as I've always enjoyed the idea of them, plus it could work well with my bands sound (Post Punk/New Wave)

Would a conversion like this be possible (If the truss rod is still working)? 

4 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

If the neck was bowed with four strings on it, I can’t see it getting better under the increased tension of eight!

That's sorta what I thought, it may have been that the truss rod had been tightened as far as it could go (wouldn't allow me to tighten it further, initially thought it was the wood of the neck or the string tension causing resistance but it might have been maxed out) so I'm going to try adjusting it both ways now there isn't any string tension.

Another initial thought after i had to get a new neck was just to turn the old one into some wall art hahah, still may end up doing that if it doesn't work out