Left leaderboard
Mickyk

Ashdown New Mag Series

Hi guys,As a follow on really from my last post about trying to get that old school vintage sound,i have decided that i don't need another bass,i just put some  Adagio Flatwound Strings on my Yamaha BB424x and i have followed members advice on here.However i,m not quite there yet so i feel that a new Amp may compliment that for me illusive vintage sound i'm after.

So with that in mind i have been looking at the Ashdown MAG Series of Combo amps which i intend to use doing small gigs.I must say i like the look of them with the British Racing Green Front Panel,and the prices seem competitive from my local PMT in Nottingham.

Anyway my question is bearing in mind what i'm trying to achieve,which one should i go for.There are 3 , Starting out with a single 10 inch speaker,and one with 2 ten inch speakers and lastly one with a Single 15 inch speaker.

So come on help me decide will ya.cheers.

Here's a link....https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/products/bass/bassamplifiers/basscombo?manufacturer=922

22 hours ago, Mickyk said:

Hi guys,As a follow on really from my last post about trying to get that old school vintage sound,i have decided that i don't need another bass,i just put some  Adagio Flatwound Strings on my Yamaha BB424x and i have followed members advice on here.However i,m not quite there yet so i feel that a new Amp may compliment that for me illusive vintage sound i'm after.

So with that in mind i have been looking at the Ashdown MAG Series of Combo amps which i intend to use doing small gigs.I must say i like the look of them with the British Racing Green Front Panel,and the prices seem competitive from my local PMT in Nottingham.

Anyway my question is bearing in mind what i'm trying to achieve,which one should i go for.There are 3 , Starting out with a single 10 inch speaker,and one with 2 ten inch speakers and lastly one with a Single 15 inch speaker.

So come on help me decide will ya.cheers.

Here's a link....https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/products/bass/bassamplifiers/basscombo?manufacturer=922

I had a Mag 115, amazing sounding amp loads of features, sound wise hard to beat. How ever, fan can be a bit noisy  at home for practice( fine for rehearsal/gigging)and its very heavy and award to carry, and the 210 is even heavier, it's a right workout moving it about, and I am a big strong lad.

sound wise superb.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rollin Thunder said:

I had a Mag 115, amazing sounding amp loads of features, sound wise hard to beat. How ever, fan can be a bit noisy  at home for practice( fine for rehearsal/gigging)and its very heavy and award to carry, and the 210 is even heavier, it's a right workout moving it about, and I am a big strong lad.

sound wise superb.

The one i'm leaning towards is the C115 ,weighs in at 28 kg but i might just use it for home practice, interesting point about noisy fans,?would you say it is louder that a computer case fan,because i've just sprayed mine with some silicone spray seems to have worked .

See your point about the 210 it says it weighs in at 35 kg.

Edited by Mickyk
none

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By spyder
      Up for grabs is my Taurus TS-10 combo. 
      It's a 300 Watt 1x10 combo with switched horn tweeters. 
      In rare white finish.
      14kg, one hand lift. 
      Easy to use on stage upward facing input panel. 
      Loud and punchy. 
      Boxed in good condition. 
      Trade for Trace Elliot or Ashdown amps or cabs. 
      New cost is £550
      Also on eBay. 

• By Muppet
      Very good condition combo. I've bypassed the combo tweeter for now but this is easily reversed as it's just spade connectors. 
      Roqsolid covers for combo with blue piping
      Collection please (i'm near M1 J15)  although I can meet up. No trades unless it's a Barefaced Retro 610!
      Cab SOLD. Combo with blue piping cover £430.. 

• By big rob
      Hi All,
      I have my lovely Mesa Boogie 400+ up for sale, as you will see from the photo it comes in the Mesa Boogie flight case which will look much better soon as i currently in the middle of refurbishing it.
      I was told by the original owner that the Valves had all been replaced with matched pairs and this was done around 2 years ago and since has had very little playing.
      I use it at home manly and it is a dream of a head. 
      I also have a the matching road ready cabs 4x10's and 1x15's so could do a deal on the lot if interested.

• By big rob
      I must say the best 4x10 i have ever owned, also has a great tweeter.
      Now down to £325
      Also comes with the padded TC cover.
      TC Blurb:
      Stackable 600 Watt bass cabinet with tweeter offers extreme portability and superior tone for stage and studio use ? Vertically stackable with other RS range cabinets for uncompromising full-frequency sound Compact and lightweight bass cabinet design 4 x 10" custom Eminence* drivers for deep fundamental bass tone 1" titanium diaphragm tweeter with 1.5" aluminum coil for increased percussive attack and definition Dual speaker link connections on premium Neutrik speakON* connectors (8 Ohm impedance) L-pad control lets you adjust to get the perfect amount of high-end detail Stylish ?anti-skid? covered plywood cabinet designed for toughest life on the road Designed and engineered in Denmark

• By rodfunnell
      After hearing a sweet 'verb effect during Pete Stroud's (aka @mybass) presentation at the SE Bass Bash last weekend (again thanks to all involved for such a great day) I took a peek at his board and saw a Dr Green's Bass Verb pedal. Once I got home, unloaded, did my fair share of the nappies and finally sat down I had a shufty round the internet and spotted one for sale on Gear For Music for £44 - and got to keep my gold status as a result of the order (I had no idea what this was about but when you get an email saying make an order of lose your preferential prices you do take action!) - I'm fully aware it is not going to make me sound one iota like Pete, but at least I would LOOK like I might to any gear nuts!
      I got to have a play with it last night at my band's 'acoustic' set practice and was pleasantly surprised - I'm not really a pedal user (have a load but never got into the whole dancing round turning them on and off) but think this one might have some real scope! As a result of the lack of a gigging board I was especially pleased it used PSU or battery! It is really simple but has usable sounds through the whole sweep of the controls and is solidly built. I can't recommend this strongly enough - I can't say it makes me sound like Pete but that wasn't really the aim - I'm just pleased it wasn't a folly and it adds a great new dimension, its not going to be destroyed by a cloven-footed harp player and I'm supporting a British brand - even if the unig is made in China.
      It is a simple, solid metal casing housing the true bypass internal gubbins, a footswitch, two simple controls - Mix, (the amount of reverb vs. the amount of dry signal) and Depth, (amount of effect) and an obligatory LED operation indicator, but it can take you from a 'tight short plate' to a 'huge cathedral-type wash' - don't get me wrong we are not talking about the quality of a Eventide pedal but neither is the price! I'm going to add a footnote to this next week after a full electric band practice as I'm not 100% sure about any volume drop off on engagement, especially at the extremes of the sweeps but at the moment I'm happy with the results for such a relatively small outlay!
      A comprehensive, not salesy Ashdown demo can be seen here:
      If you want to score a bit of brilliant, British Bass 'Verbiness then check out https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Dr-Green-Bass-Verb-Reverb-Pedal/PFI while the sale price lasts, and you can still get them as Ashdown have realeased a new line of Bass effects!