Why become a member? ×

Preamp pedal

Craigster

Hi everyone, am a newbie here! Hope you'll can help! 

I have a 250w Warwick CCL combo amp which i often max out the volume / gain when rehearsing, as expected sound quality suffers massively when i do this. I have my mids, lows and tops dialled in around 12 o'clock and i prefer my bass a little trebly. 

Can anyone recommend a preamp pedal which would improve this sound quality when maxed out (if a preamp can actually do this) I have a budget of around £150-£180 and hope to choose one with Di and compression combined. 

Thanks all in advance for any advice and guidance. 

Craig. 

Sounds like you need a more powerful rig if you're after more clean volume, if your combo has a speaker out then an extension cab would be your best bet. Maybe you can try compression and a high pass filter but from your post it sounds like the crux of the problem is not enough headroom. With an extension cab underneath you'll be able to hear it better as well due to getting your combo closer to ear level.

I use a Fishman Pro Platinum preamp pedal which has those features and also a tuner etc but it isn't a magic wand to make your amp louder or cleaner.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Sounds like you need a more powerful rig if you're after more clean volume, if your combo has a speaker out then an extension cab would be your best bet. Maybe you can try compression and a high pass filter but from your post it sounds like the crux of the problem is not enough headroom. With an extension cab underneath you'll be able to hear it better as well due to getting your combo closer to ear level.

I use a Fishman Pro Platinum preamp pedal which has those features and also a tuner etc but it isn't a magic wand to make your amp louder or cleaner.

This.

And also speaker size is important, not just watts, a 250w 15” or 2x10 with push more air (volume) than a single 10” or 12”  add an extension cab, Di out to an external pa speaker or unfortunately have to get a bigger rig, if you have a £150-£180 budget you can you an extention second hand or part ex on a bigger amp.  

20 hours ago, Craigster said:

Thanks guys, more good advice. Very useful. This is some of the line in /out spec for this combo... 

•  
  • Effect Send and Return
  • Line Out
  • Phones out
  • Tuner out
  • XLR DI out
  • Switches for ground lift, Sub Sonic, DI Pre/Post

According to he spec on your amp it is 150w and 200w peak even though it's sold as 250w, so it's probably a good little practice amp but not a good gigging/rehearing amp. Use the Di out to pa speaker or to a powered cab, to get the extra volume you need. 

I've previously had success with high pass filters in this scenario. Removing the sub bass frequencies from the signal really helps create headroom for the remaining signal. And if you like a trebble heavy tone, this would be your cheapest option by far. Some heads have a hpf built in tho so check that before you spill any coin.