Why become a member? ×

Crap Venue Notice

farmer61

We were due to play the Huntsman Tavern in Salisbury yesterday on a % of takings. Played here once before, was an ok gig, nothing special.

Anyway we pitch up to find out that we're double booked with the Landlords (ex X Factor contestant) Karaoke night. We confirmed the gig over the Christmas period and sent some promotional stuff. The gigs not been promoted there are 5 people in the pub with not a lot more expected, so our percentage cut is likely to be very very small.

Obviously we're a tadge pissed off, the landlord isn't even there. Suffice to say we didn't bother and left cancelling our booking for September. If you're playing this venue make double sure that your booking is confirmed to avoid a wasted journey.

Argggh!!!!

[quote name='Jase' post='377321' date='Jan 12 2009, 12:28 AM']I wouldn't have even bothered cancelling the September gig, wouldn't bother turning up on the date...[/quote]

I'd agree, but the problem with doing that is you'd be unlikely to ever get a gig in Salisbury again; it's a small world and it only takes 1 phone call from a pissed off promoter/venue to spread the word about time wasters and bands that don’t show up. It’s a shame that it’s generally the promoters and venues that have the power, not the band…

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='377326' date='Jan 12 2009, 12:44 AM']I'd agree, but the problem with doing that is you'd be unlikely to ever get a gig in Salisbury again;[/quote]

Very true, we appear to be poxed with Salisbury, we've yet to play a venue that works for us there and it's a great location for the band as it's bang in the middle of where we all live.

Plus just cause the landlord couldn't organise a piss up in a.........pub (I suppose) I still feel we should try and remain professional and keep any moral high ground!

Ho hum!

[quote name='deaver' post='377084' date='Jan 11 2009, 07:58 PM']That's odd. I was going to go and see you but ended up staying in. I'm sure they were advertising you as playing lasy night?[/quote]

We'd have spotted you cause you probably would have been the only punter in. Out of interest are there any good places to play in the Salisbury area.

We've tried
Winchester Gate - Last minute booking due to another cancellation not really suited to live music
Stagg Inn, Charlton All Saints - Scarey audience plus they dicked us around last time we were booked there
Wig and Quill - Unhelpful staff and rubbish layout
and finally the Huntsman........

Salisbury is a great location for us but finding a decent venue is proving a challenge.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Resurrection time, only just spotted this again

Some possible venues for you:

Five Bells, I've seen a couple of covers bands there and it is seems like a fairly normal pub gig, the band area is slightly raised from the main room which is good but your slightly cut off from the bar area, not so good.

Old Ale House, usually a long waiting list to play here. Decent venue, effectively Salisbury's premier pub venue. We played bottom of the bill of three bands, the only real problem was the sound man who sat quite happily texting his mates whilst we ploughed on through wailing feedback.

The Chough, only seen smaller bands and solo artists here. They do put on 4/5 piece bands so they might be worth a punt. Weekends seem to attract big haired, younger women so Mrs Deaver likes me to steer well clear.

The Cloisters, used to have a regular Thursday night band spot. Seen a couple of bands go down a storm here but don't know if they still have them on.

British Legion, classic Legion function room. Even if you don't go down so well the beer is dirt cheap

New Inn, have started putting small bands on. The crowd looks like they'd enjoy a covers band and the 3 piece (2 guitars, 1 bass) I saw went down well.

George and Dragon, they put bands on but space is a bit tight and I'm not really sure the punters enjoy it

Avon Brewery, should be a good venue. Bands are being put on in the new extension to the rear. haven't seen anyone yet so can't really be sure

A couple of other possibles are the Conservative Club on St Anns St (also known as St Anns Social Club to avoid the tainted brand association), The Railway/Dusthole (allegedly the only pub in Britain with two names), the Arts Centre does a Live Lunch on a Saturday afternoon and the City Hall are sometimes on the look out for support bands for the bigger boys. Porton Hotel's another possible, they have a purpose built function room out the back.

Edited by deaver

[quote name='deaver' post='455768' date='Apr 6 2009, 07:30 PM']Resurrection time, only just spotted this again

Some possible venues for you:[/quote]
Cheers J, really good list here and some strong possibilities. I'll get the list over to our chief gig booker to get some groundwork done.

Particularly like the sound of the venue that Mrs Deaver doesn't like you going in!!! :) got to be first on the list

Many thanks for the help.

No problem. I forgot to put this [url="http://www.salisburyfestival.co.uk/cms/site/news/salisbury-live-better-that-ever.aspx"]Salisbury Live 22nd - 24th May[/url] in the previous post. Not a bad idea if you want to check a few places out. We'll be at the Winchester Gate (drummerless) one night, supporting Pyeshoppe (again).