Why become a member? ×

Foot Tambourines. Viable in a band situaiton?

dave_bass5

We have recently started playing a few songs where i dont play bass for a good portion of them, so ive stated using the singers Tambourine. Sounds quite nice and adds to the overall mix (which is quite sparse at that point)

The problem i have is putting it down quietly when the bass comes in (for instance Hey Jude). I know you can get stands and i could hit it when its attached to one of those, but ive seen those small tambourines that strap to your foot. I like the idea of that as i can keep going with it. They do look quite small and im assuming will get lost in a typical covers band mix?

Just wondered if anyone has any input and/or experience with these things. I dont want to spend too much (so not a floor based drum beater etc), and im also wondering why the hell im doing this while the drummer sits there on FB until he comes in.

A tambourine is like perfume. A little bit in the right place is very effective. But too much, sprayed all around, is not good.

Foot tambourines are very effective in an acoustic setting - a guy in the uke band has one. All tambourines seem to be able to cut through a mix, and the one foot version that I have heard has a nice tight sound - a short delay that really defines the beat. 

Cheaper tambourines can sound like a drawer full of cutlery being dropped down the stairs - lots of overtones and uncontrolled sustain. 

As for a foot tambourine in Hey Jude, I have to say Nah.

Nah. Nah nanna na na, nanna na na, hey Jude.....