Why become a member? ×

The grass and its relative verdancy

Dankology

I realize that this is much-covered ground but I just wanted to have a bit of a grumble about my own fickleness.

We did some recording earlier in the year for which I used an Aerodyne Jazz stung with flats which I was really very content with. As time went on I decided I wanted something a little pokier as the bass (a PJ, of course) was not really cutting through on some songs live.

As a 40th birthday treat to myself not long afterwards I treated myself to a US Jazz with EMGs from the Marketplace here. It was strung with rounds that were a bit slender for me but the whole thing sounded great - nice and present both in rehearsal and live plus it was, improbably, lighter than the Aerodyne so my dodgy shoulder was happy too.

Last week I went back to change one of the bass parts on the studio recordings and was gutted to hear the difference between the two basses. To the point that we left the old part as-is. I know that the original part had been subject to some EQ and had been recorded through a nicer desk but it was clear that the intrinsic sound was much more suited to the song. And more pleasing to my ear.

So today I'm going to pull the Pyramids off the Aerodyne and see how they sound on the Jazz via its JVX pickups. If that doesn't float my boat I'm trying the other EMGs that came with the bass and if that doesn't help thicken up the sound I'll be open to suggestions. Unless they involve not using my lovely, light new bass.

We supported a band the other week where the bassist had what seemed to be a Jazz Deluxe and played with a pick through an amp with loads of top end and still had a lovely thudding sound - I should've picked his brain.

Edited by Dankology