Why become a member? ×

bass noob looking to purchase

pby

Howdy,

I'm a guitarist looking to buy a bass guitar. I've previously purchased a bass guitar before (5 string LTD) but it wasn't what I was looking for and I ended up selling it.
I'm looking to buy an all round bass and something that looks good and affordable. I've narrowed it down to a jazz bass and a budget of 450 absolutely max.

I've found an ok squier classic vibe for just under 250 quid but I was just curious if I should buy something a little better, say a used jap jazz. But I don't want to end up spending alot of upgrades if I can just buy a great bass with minimal tweakage.

I'm also looking for a bass preamp for recording, preferably something good quality and not too expensive.

If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them
Thanks for you time

Edited by pby

Howdy pby,

For £450, I'd be looking for a secondhand Fender US Jazz or a Japanese Reissue (just as good IMHO). A Jazz'll just about do anything and (unless you're like me) will stay with you for a long time. You can always upgrade bits as you go as the bits are readily available and not too expensive.

Edited by niceguyhomer

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='375330' date='Jan 9 2009, 04:23 PM']I would say a squier jazz is a great all-riound bass for a good price, can't go far wrong with that and very resellable.[/quote]

agreed, plus you've got the extra £200 for if you want to customise it a bit in the future. Check out the for sale section too, there's always some bargains floating about

[quote name='bubinga5' post='375398' date='Jan 9 2009, 05:58 PM']PBY, i would say a great bass to go for is the Lakland 44-01 for sale in the for sale section here. £400.00 from Riddler

Awsome bass, and very versatile, Bartolini pick ups..i would say for that money, there is no better...[/quote]

+1. For £400 you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the replies, I was wondering if I bought a squier, fender parts should retrofit right?

Man its tough choosing a jazz bass as it is, now i have lakland to consider.
I think I'm tending towards the squier though. I don't see alot of the classic vibe for sale though, mostly only the vintage modified, is the classic vibe just less popular or something?

yeah, fender parts would fit the squier, but why bother? fender pickups arent great, nor are bridges or machine heads. the squier CV and VM series are supposed to be excellent build quiality.

and as for the VM series being more popular, thats because its a lot older, the CV series are fairly new.

i'd say go for the squier over the lakland, personally. i wasnt comfortable with the lakland, but thats just personal taste. but i think a good bass and a good amp etc. will be a better option than a great bass and an ok amp.

I have a USA 75 jazz reissue and the pickups are fantastic..(depending on what bass you put them with, the best pickups in the world wont make a bass made from balsa wood sound good).....as for the machine heads, they are as good as any i have come across, bridges not so chunky. A squire Jazz may be a great way to go, i guess trying one out is the best option..The Lakland IMHO, is in a different league compared though..Longer scale length of the Laky, may be a deal breaker mind...

What about a second hand MIM Jazz?

Must try a squire jazz out, heard so many good things about them..

[quote name='bubinga5' post='375597' date='Jan 9 2009, 09:06 PM']The Lakland IMHO, is in a different league compared though..Longer scale length of the Laky, may be a deal breaker mind...

Must try a squire jazz out, heard so many good things about them..[/quote]

The 4-string Laklands are 34" scale, only the 5-strings are 35".

I'd also recommend trying out something like a Squier VM Jazz - I was pleasantly surprised, and for £250 or so, it was one of the best deals out there.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='375597' date='Jan 9 2009, 08:06 PM']I have a USA 75 jazz reissue and the pickups are fantastic..(depending on what bass you put them with, the best pickups in the world wont make a bass made from balsa wood sound good).....as for the machine heads, they are as good as any i have come across, bridges not so chunky. A squire Jazz may be a great way to go, i guess trying one out is the best option..The Lakland IMHO, is in a different league compared though..Longer scale length of the Laky, may be a deal breaker mind...

Must try a squire jazz out, heard so many good things about them..[/quote]

i wasnt trying to suggest they were rubbish, but people upgrade them for much better pickups/machine heads etc.