Why become a member? ×

Pondering Scale Length

Spoonman

Lately I've been half thinking I might build a bass, but I'm a bit new to this idea, so this is just a general query for anyone in the know really.

I've always fancied a Jazz bass, but I'm not so keen on the necks and headstocks of them generally. I was thinking it might be cool to build a medium scale Jazz, like 32" similar to a Rickenbacker. I was wondering what kinds of things I'd need to keep in mind if I was going to do this. Obviously the fret sizes have to be different, but do you need to re-posistion the bridge or anything?

Also if anyone has any idea where I could get a 32" scale neck with two tuning pegs on either side I'd love to know, I can't find them anywhere!

Many thanks.

[quote name='Spoonman' post='375170' date='Jan 9 2009, 02:22 PM']Lately I've been half thinking I might build a bass, but I'm a bit new to this idea, so this is just a general query for anyone in the know really.

I've always fancied a Jazz bass, but I'm not so keen on the necks and headstocks of them generally. I was thinking it might be cool to build a medium scale Jazz, like 32" similar to a Rickenbacker. I was wondering what kinds of things I'd need to keep in mind if I was going to do this. Obviously the fret sizes have to be different, but do you need to re-posistion the bridge or anything?

Also if anyone has any idea where I could get a 32" scale neck with two tuning pegs on either side I'd love to know, I can't find them anywhere!

Many thanks.[/quote]

By fret sizes I assume you mean fret spacing. The bridge will have to be placed appropriately. You could design the neck/pocket around an existing bridge, but it's no biggie to fill some holes and put the bridge where it ought to go.

As for procuring an ready made 32" scale neck, good luck. It's 34s all the way in the replacement market with the occasional 30 popping up. You'd probably have to butcher another 32" scale bass for its neck.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='henry norton' post='375301' date='Jan 9 2009, 03:54 PM']You could find a 34" unlined fretless neck and cut 32" scale fret spacings into it if you don't mind a bit of woodwork. You would have to reposition the bridge if you used a standard Jazz body but it's not too difficult to make your own with a few woodwork tools and perseverence.[/quote]

Now that's thinking outside the box. A standard Fender neck which would have 20 frets at 34" scale would take at least 22 frets at 32" scale

Fret 20 @ 34" scale is 591.58mm from the nut
Fret 22 @ 32" scale is 584.72mm from the nut
Fret 23 @ 32" scale is 597.52mm from the nut, so you might not be able to squeeze this one on.

If you're going down this route, I'd make it a Jazz neck. Thinner at the nut and you're shortening the scale length means it'll feel in proportion, a P neck will feel very wide indeed (but you might want this, I don't know)

You will need to reposition the bridge in this instance, basically 2" further towards the nut.

[quote]...like 32" similar to a Rickenbacker...[/quote] I thought Ric basses were 33 1/4" scale?
I don't think you'll find an off-the-shelf replacement neck in that scale. You could order a pre-slotted fingerboard blank from somewhere like David Dyke Luthier Supplies, cut ready for fretting in 32", but it would be a special one-off and likely quite costly. Or have a go at doing it yourself on a fretless neck, as henry already suggested.

[quote]I thought Ric basses were 33 1/4" scale?[/quote]

My mistake Al Heeley you're right, for some reason I'd picked up that they were 32" from somewhere.

Cheers for your info anyway guys, much appreciated! Interesting idea about the fretless neck, something to have a think about. Not quite sure how good my woodwork skills are, but I'll have a stab at it in the future why not.