Why become a member? ×

Ric question

Al Heeley

hiho,do you mean neck relief?.ricky necks come in two types.they adjust differently.unlike other basses that have a small amount of relief,rickys are set up flat ie no relief.
due to the construction of the neck through body you get what rickenbacker make unlike a bolt on neck that you can shim up so don,t worry about neck to body angle get the relief right and everything will be fine.
Remember to find out what neck you have.4001 adjusts in a different way to a 4003.4003 have some that have the truss rod adjusters at the body end and the others at the head end.the other bit is that there is a transition period when the changeover was done.joeybassnotes will keep you right.just guessing on what you mean and hope this points you in the right direction.

Another ric question: does anyone have any info about the scrylic sscratchplate-like insert I've seen fitted with SD Ric-replacement pickups, to cover the original hole? I've seen what looks like a white or black plastic rectangle then a clear acrylic piece over the top within which the pickup is mounted, the SD two blade type pup. I'd be grateful for any info from anyone who has fitted these SD pickups to a ric.
Many thanks!

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='376632' date='Jan 11 2009, 10:22 AM']Another ric question: does anyone have any info about the scrylic sscratchplate-like insert I've seen fitted with SD Ric-replacement pickups, to cover the original hole? I've seen what looks like a white or black plastic rectangle then a clear acrylic piece over the top within which the pickup is mounted, the SD two blade type pup. I'd be grateful for any info from anyone who has fitted these SD pickups to a ric.
Many thanks![/quote]

I think you may be referring to Pickguardian products. I had their kit on a 4003 recently. You can order them direct from the 'States.

That's the Pickguardian:

[url="http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/"]http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/[/url]

My 1983 Ric 4003 was giving me real problems with the strings buzzing against the edge of the bridge pickup surround, but I didn't want to grind down the original fitment.

The Pickguardian is a really good solution. Easy fitment, looks right, and isn't even recognizable as an after-market part unless you get up close to it.

It's also a very comfortable thumb rest.

Edit: Hi XL2A ... and SNAP!

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='376941' date='Jan 11 2009, 05:45 PM']The angle is measured via triangulation with a flat edge, an identifiable position, and the drop or difference at another identifiable position.[/quote]

Not in degrees then? Any idea why not? (Just curious - it's hardly a burning issue in my life. ;) )

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='376941' date='Jan 11 2009, 05:45 PM']The angle is measured via triangulation with a flat edge, an identifiable position, and the drop or difference at another identifiable position.[/quote]

I think i've just entered the Twilight Zone ;)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='376958' date='Jan 11 2009, 06:04 PM']Not in degrees then? Any idea why not? (Just curious - it's hardly a burning issue in my life. ;) )[/quote]

You don't need a protractor when you construct a bass. You can mark out a triangle in the required lengths to achieve the desired angle, and cut accordingly. In measuring an angle you can take the same measurements of a triangle. It's simple carpenter's geometry, hardly rocket science.

No, really, an angle is fine - in fact it's preferable! 15 degrees does it for me. Stick a long ruler on the fretboard protruding out over the headstock, and the angle the headstock slopes away at, that's the jobby. Thanks. Actually I think 15 is too much, more likely to be 8 to 12 degrees.

[quote name='Buzz' post='377034' date='Jan 11 2009, 07:02 PM']Al, you're doing a copy, does it have to be that perfect as to get the correct headstock angle?

And now I think about it, what about the other one you did, would that also not have an angled headstock?[/quote]
I'd like to get it as close as I can to the real Ric, and with the original Lemonbacker, I guessed ;) These were just some of the issues first time round I struggled to get clear answers on.

Sorry Al, I should have twigged it wasn't idle curiosity on your part.

Maybe these will help:

[attachment=18510:DSCF1982.JPG]

[attachment=18511:DSCF1984.JPG]

They're not brilliant snaps, but you should get a clear measurement from them.

(If you have a protractor, that is ... )

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='377117' date='Jan 11 2009, 08:28 PM']I'd like to get it as close as I can to the real Ric, and with the original Lemonbacker, I guessed ;) These were just some of the issues first time round I struggled to get clear answers on.[/quote]

In answer to your questions:

1. there appears to be no discernible angle of incline on the neck, at least I can't be bothered to take the bridge pickup assembly apart as it is slightly in the way of my long flat steel rule, but it looks flat or close to flat
2. The headstock angle is about 5 degrees. This is based on a headstock which extends past the nut to a length of 215mm (along axis of fingerboard). Rick headstock sizes vary depending on era if you didn't already know that. The angle begins at the nut end.
3. The neck thru is about 1 - 1.5mm proud of the body where the fingerboard sits. So the fingerboard is not flush.

Good luck with your build. Have a look at this for your amusement, I would make a lefty one if I have the time.
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283322"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283322[/url]

Many thanks guys for taking the time to measure and photo. In fact the head angle is far shallower than I imagined. Will take that into account with the build. As far as i know, there have never been any reports of problems with string/nut pressure with rics like you sometimes hear about with Fender Precisions and the A-string, so I guess the shallow head angle works fine for the design.
Syn: many thanks for the measurements, that'll do nicely. I have 8 1/2 inches for the headstock so that is pretty close to your own figures. I'll go for a flat neck/body with neck 1.5mm proud at the join.
[quote][url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283322"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283322[/url][/quote]remeber reading thru this thread before starting on the Lemonbacker. Great stuff! Amazing where he saws right thru the body by hand to cut the top cap off. Nerves of steel. I wish he'd get on and finish it.
Sadly for me, the 4005 is an ugly boiled sweet of a bass and has none of the iconic design excellence of the 4001.