Why become a member? ×

Miles Davis Transcription

Bilbo

Here is my transcription of the Miles Davis trumpet solo on 'All Blues' from the classic Davis CD 'Kind Of Blue' - come on now, you've all got a copy, haven't you?

The transcription needs to be interpreted as swing eighths.

The subtlties of Davis'playing are almost impossible to notate so please see this as a guide rather than a perfect representation. The thing I like aboout this solo is that it shows how creative and musical a jazz soloist can be without excessive use of technique and accusations of 'random noodling'. The note/rest ratio here is massively in favour of silence and these notes could be executed by almost anyone.

But the solo could only be Miles Dewey Davis.

Thank you sir! :) I've been trying to transcribe the head and solo from 'Freddie Freeloader' but my transcribing abilities are less than stellar i.e. god awful so it's always nice when someone does the hard stuff for you.

Also, this chap has some great transcriptions on his website-http://www.arcellussykes.com/

Now where did I put my fretless :huh:

[quote name='YouMa' post='371264' date='Jan 5 2009, 07:13 PM']Cheers Bilbo ill have a go just getting to grips with my reading at the moment,you havent got a transcription of the bass for so what have you?[/quote]

not my work so don't hunt me down bilbo :)