Why become a member? ×

Hey There

Mikey2341

Hi Guys,

been lurking around on here for a while and decided to sign up and say hello!

Am a complete newbie and dont have any experience of playing. The only knowledge I have is what I've read on here so far!

I went out today with the intention of buying a bass and so set out to my local music shop (dawsons in stockport) having tried a few different models I decided I really liked the Squire Affinity P model which fell into my price range. I'd had a look on here and various on line shops before setting out to the shop to compare prices etc and hoped to be able to use these to negotiate with the shop to strike a deal. I tried a Farida P copy (dawsons own brand i think) and it was ok, but the squire felt nicer and was cheaper... Dawsons wanted 140 quid for the guitar on its own, but wanted 215 for it in the start playing pack with amp, gig bag dvd strap tuner etc. I've seen these cheaper on the web and hoped that dawson's would price match or drop it to a lower price to encourage me to buy it - I said I was wanting to buy it today, but they werent interested. I would've gladly paid 180/190 quid or so for it from them as it was in the shop and i got to try it etc, but the sales guy wasn't helpful or bothered. So it looks like i'm going to get it from the web instead. I don't really want to do that, but 190 was my upper budget and I can get it for 160 of the web, thats 30 quids worth of books / dvd's to get aswell!!

Cheers

Mikey

Edited by Mikey2341

Welcome to the forum :)

Although not the worst starter instrument, had you considered saving up a few more quid and getting a slightly higher end Squier? With a Standard series P you would get the benefit of better tuners and the flexibility of a P/J pickup configuration. Alternatively there's always second hand, where you'll always get more bang for your buck. You might pick up something here.

Just a thought. Good luck whatever you decide.

Hello Mikey,
I found that my local independent music shop wouldn't budge on price regarding some items whilst I was looking for my (recently aquired) first bass, a proper "Take it or leave it....thats the price" approach was what they had. I got a good deal from the Music Room (Notts) in the end.

Go for the larger suppliers, I think they may be a bit more receptive to a bit of a barter.

[quote name='JDM' post='369592' date='Jan 3 2009, 09:22 PM']Hello Mikey,
I found that my local independent music shop wouldn't budge on price regarding some items whilst I was looking for my (recently aquired) first bass, a proper "Take it or leave it....thats the price" approach was what they had. I got a good deal from the Music Room (Notts) in the end.

Go for the larger suppliers, I think they may be a bit more receptive to a bit of a barter.[/quote]

Thanks for the replies guys,

I've thought about saving up a bit more money and getting something better, but i'm not sure what "feels" better when trying things out, so thought that if I just got something basic for a while then I could upgrade later if my ability warranted it... However I do like the look of the squire vintage models and they are not that much dearer, and I could then look for a 2nd hand amp to keep costs down... I'm also happy at looking for a 2nd hand bass, It's just i'm not to sure what i'm looking for / at!! Although I have to admit it is fun looking!

Cheers

Mikey