Why become a member? ×

Roundwounds with a darker tone.

BrunoBass

I’ve played Ernie Ball Slinkys for years and have always been happy with them. More recently I’ve found myself favouring a darker tone than the brightness of the Slinkys. I’ve tried flats and whilst I loved them they weren’t right for my band, I need the bite of a round, just less twang. Obviously I can darken the tone with EQ, but then I feel like I’m losing something of the character of the string.

In an attempt to avoid costly experiments, what are your recommendations? 

Pure nickels, pressurewounds or half rounds may be your best bet. 

I was in a similar boat, hate bright rounds, love flats, but wanted something darker with some bite, and settled on D'Addario half rounds, they have a 'tacky' coating which is strange at first, but once the coating wears off they sound really nice. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Pure nickels, pressurewounds or half rounds may be your best bet. 

I was in a similar boat, hate bright rounds, love flats, but wanted something darker with some bite, and settled on D'Addario half rounds, they have a 'tacky' coating which is strange at first, but once the coating wears off they sound really nice. 😎

Thank you, I’ll investigate 👍🏻