Why become a member? ×

Squier Jazz

JDM

Hi folks,
Having made my introduction a week or so ago, tomorrow I venture into notts to have a look at a Squier Classic Vibe 60's Jazz as this has been recommended as a good possible starter guitar for me. Today I saw a Squier Modified Jazz in a local shop but the price tag quoted £280 !!! (have seen one as low as £199). The one I'm looking at tomorrow (vibe) is a good £40 cheaper.

Can any of you learned people tell me the differences between a Squier Modified Jazz and a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz please ?

Not alot really imo, it's mostly personal preference.

With the VMJ you get a maple, black blocked bound neck, although the blocks are painted on and arn't real, and the neck has a rather lovely satin finish to it. I've got one, it's alright, I want new pups for it as they're not what I'm looking for soundwise. And the body is all maple.

The Classic Vibe gives you a synthetic bone nut (same one as the MIA Fenders I believe), a High Mass Bridge (much better than the stock bent tin that's on the VMJ, again the same as the MIA Fenders) and you get vintage style frets (slightly thinner fretwire methinks) and a basswood body coupled to a gloss finished neck sporting a rosewood fretboard. The basswood will be lighter and easier to wear for long periods, my MIJ Aerodyne is basswood, nice and light.

They're both the top of the Squiers so QC shouldn't be a problem.

Personally I'd go with the Classic Vibe if I had to replace mine, partly as it seems to come with newer and better designed hardware, but also because the price difference and I'd quite fancy a white jazz with a tort plate. Don't get me wrong, I do like my VMJ, it's nice to play and definitely worth the £230ish it cost me 2 summers ago but I think I'd rather have the better nut.

Allo!

I've just bought a Classic Vibe '50's Precision and it is superb value for money. I tried the Classic Vibe Jazz and was very tempted - however, I left it a day too late and someone else beat me to it! I'd heartily recommend that bass - very well put together and very playable - not quite in the same league as the original '80s JV Squiers but very good nonetheless! imho!

Nick

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='368987' date='Jan 2 2009, 11:54 PM']Allo!

I've just bought a Classic Vibe '50's Precision and it is superb value for money.
Nick[/quote]

Isnt it just.

Im very very tempted by the 60s precision as well

I have 2 already, is 3 too many?

[quote name='Buzz' post='368925' date='Jan 2 2009, 10:29 PM']With the VMJ you get a maple, black blocked bound neck, although the blocks are painted on and arn't real, and the neck has a rather lovely satin finish to it. I've got one, it's alright, I want new pups for it as they're not what I'm looking for soundwise. And the body is all maple.[/quote]

the block inlays are real on mine...