Why become a member? ×

erm

bubinga5

i only read the bits of this post Oscar (ok just the best bits) but it seems to me that the bass is only another small part in the evolution of music....every instrument gets 'its moment' in the bigger picture..for some reason in our modern times, (which i happen to think is the lack of appreciation of the lower register of sound in popular music) happens to be the Electric Bass)..

I have always been a fan of the unsung hero of music from Willie Weeks, to Poogie Bell. Soloing is great.!!! in the right context...but i love the fact that the Electric Bass is there in the back, holding everthing together..

In my opinion, thats what makes us special.!!!.the fact that we think about the whole picture... while the guitarist is thinking about himself..(excuse my pigeons)

Lets face it, in this multiple choice we call music, anything is possible..maybe what we choose is leftfield, or of the masses, but its all about the music.

like Grace Jones said..im a slave to the music

It's an interesting point. What originally got me excited about the bass was the role it played in a band. It's a supporting role. The backbone, the spine, the legs of a chair, the chassis of a car. You don't really pay much attention to any of them but when they go wrong you notice how important they are. A chair cam be super comfy but if the legs are buckled then your notice. You take your back for granted but when it hurts then you sure do notice. So, take a bass out of the band and it all falsl to pieces.