Why become a member? ×

Tunes for beginners?

Eight

I would recommend learning some classics such as any Beatles stuff. There is a playalong book called something like Play Bass With The Beatles. They are easy enough to learn and within a day you could have a couple of simpler songs in your repertoire. After that I would have a go at Geddy Lee's bass break in Freewill.

Coldplay are also easy enough if you like eighth note plodfests.

[quote name='ednaplate' post='366528' date='Dec 30 2008, 07:24 PM']Coldplay are also easy enough if you like eighth note plodfests.[/quote]
Now I try very hard to keep my musical tastes out of "practice" time. i.e. I don't have to like the band/song to learn something from playing it; but I would struggle to sit through more than a couple of repetitions of any Coldplay track. :)

Lol. Of course, I mean no disrespect to anyone who does like them. I can see why they are popular, they're just not for me.

(Although if forced to admit it, I did kinda like that single speed of sound or whatever its called).

Hey man!

I have a "easy bass riff's for beginners" section on youtube where I teach peeps simple lines. I'm adding to it all the time :)

So far I have:

The Beatles: Come together.
Radiohead: Creep.
Red hot chili peppers: Under the bridge.
Red hot chili peppers: If you want me to stay.
Alice in chains: Would?
Breeders: Cannonball.

I also have a two party on how to play "pretty little ditty" by the chilis. This is for beginner/intermediate, though!

[url="http://mrlamius.blogspot.com/search/label/Simple%20bass%20riffs%20to%20learn"]Clicky[/url]

Hope some of it helps, and I am open to suggestions for other tunes to do...

Kris :huh:

Hi Kris,

Thanks for posting. I was just reading through bits of your blog yesterday (from another thread I stumbled upon) and I think you really have a knack for presenting useful stuff for beginners - I'm very grateful that are there are guys like you around, and look forward to sitting down with your videos a little later today.

So far my first experience with learning this thing has been so much more fun and rewarding because of the help/tips/pointers I've been receiving from fellow bass players. I don't know if you all realise just how unusual it is - clearly bassists are a better class of people. :)