Why become a member? ×

Pedal board beginner's guide

Soledad

I use isolated pedals sometimes but I need a board. This raises some basic questions I'm a bit stuck on:

Power supply. Is centre negative a kind of standard? Can I get a basic say 500mA supply and a daisychain - job done?

Signal. Say 4 pedals. What is the best way to connect signal through a chain like this. I mean short, tidy, and signal-clean?

Order. I plan a Sadowsky SBP1 (got), a compressor; a chorus (got) and a tuner. Note pre-amp will be out most of time and used to add some gain and push tops sometimes. Is there a basic logic to pedal order?

Tips from the experienced out there much appreciated

PSU: yes, that Boss type is usually the standard. Older and some exotic units have reverse polarity, 18 V, 40 V, 9 VAC and whatever.

Signal: use silicone cables and Neutrik connectors if the cables move. If not, something cheap may be functional.

Order: there are millions of helpful people telling you the only and one way, but rely on your ears. That's it.

If comp is the last in line, the boost will be tamed a bit, depending on the comp settings. You may try to put that S. after the comp. Quick suggestion:

bass - tuner - comp - S. - chorus

This way chorus and S. will not affect comp action. Try to run these in other order and find out the most suitable for you.

• Thanks 1

Proper useful @itu - the 'Boss' standard is negative pin I believe and does seem to be the current near-standard.

I think I have seen some jack-to-jack connectors with no cable - just solid direct for the side fitted jack in/outs - if you follow?

Your suggested order makes sense I think - i'll start with that. The tuner tees off the Sad. so signal path isn't too bad.