Why become a member? ×

Wrist Pain

wishface

I think I may have overdone playing recently. Not pain per se, just discomfort when I bend it (right hand, picking hand).

Any tips for relieving this? It' snot normally an issue for me, I have never played with my bass strung super high and my arm bent mightily the way some people do. I've always been cautious to avoid cramping it up. 

Anyway, how do people deal with this if/when it happens? Thanks

Rest up for a couple of days to allow the wrist to recover. When you return to playing, revisit your technique. Make sure the wrist is straight as much of the time as is possible.  Play for shorter periods at a time...i.e. don't over do it. The video below on safe technique is worth checking out.

Finally, dont hesitate to seek professional medical help if the problem persists. 

Best of luck in your recovery. 🙂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wishface said:

I think it's because I had been practicing string crossing which I find necessitates a greater reach when plucking and thus wrist tension. I do try to stay on top of this, but probably should have taken a break more often.

It is mentioned briefly in the clip I posted earlier, but here is a more detailed one on the "Floating Thumb" technique. No reach required from the wrist with this technique. Also, even when using a safe technique,  regular breaks are always recommended. 

13 minutes ago, Coilte said:

Agreed...but.. is she not exclusively a pick player ? I assumed the OP is a finger player.

True - didn’t know if the OP also used a pick, but the angle of her arm/hand/wrist is key and can be replicated finger style to a degree 

14 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

True - didn’t know if the OP also used a pick, but the angle of her arm/hand/wrist is key and can be replicated finger style to a degree 

Fingerstyle (though I do enjoy switching to a plectrum at times, both valid techniques).

I do lapse into floating thumb sometimes, but I'm not sure I'd want to commit to it. I like anchoring the thumb because it feels natural; the thumb exists as a counter when we're trying to pick things up. That translates when plucking strings. It serves as something to pluck 'against', if you follow me.

Edited by wishface
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Coilte said:

Unfortunately it is anything BUT natural, and can lead to potential injury problems. However..to each their own. They are your hands/wrists. 🙂

Well, anchoring per se isn't bad since most bass players (I would assert) do it and they don't all suffer. So it depends how hard you play or stress your digits. Anchoring doesn't mean gluing to the pickup and contorting your hand. I move my thumb usually between pickup and a string. 

4 hours ago, wishface said:

Well, anchoring per se isn't bad since most bass players (I would assert) do it and they don't all suffer. So it depends how hard you play or stress your digits. Anchoring doesn't mean gluing to the pickup and contorting your hand. I move my thumb usually between pickup and a string. 

No need to explain or justify your technique. Everyone is entitled to play as they see fit. 🙂